Fifth Straight Victory as Defense Stymies Princeton Attack

Junior midfielder Brian Grimm, shown here in earlier action, tallied his second assist of the season on the game-winner against Princeton. The Crimson remains undefeated in league play with the win.
By Jay M. Cohen, Crimson Staff Writer

A familiar formula of tight defensive play and a potent counter-attack helped the No. 22 Harvard men’s soccer team to its fifth straight victory Saturday afternoon. In the wind and rain in Princeton, the Crimson (8-3, 4-0 Ivy) downed the Tigers (4-9-1, 1-2-1) 2-0 to remain atop the league standings.

The shutout was Harvard’s fourth in its last five games, and goals from junior Adam Rousmaniere and senior John Stamatis were enough for the win in what both co-captain Michael Fucito and junior Andre Akpan described as a “typical Ivy game” in its intensity and physical nature. The strong defense has been present throughout the opening to the Crimson’s Ivy schedule.

“Our back line has done a really good job of not giving away too many chances,” Fucito said. “We have size, speed, toughness, and athleticism. They make [goalkeeper Austin Harms’] job a lot easier.”

Harms, who took over in goal at the start of the winning streak, had only one save to make in the match. Not only did the back four help keep Princeton off the score sheet, but with their anticipation and positioning, often started the Harvard attack.

“Our defense has been really stepping up since Ivy play started, and they did it again Saturday,” Akpan said. “One of our biggest problems in the last few years has been a lack of organization at the back, and I think what Coach [Jamie] Clark has done is get the back to really understand each other. We have one of the most athletic back lines in the country, and when we are not giving up anything we can really get our counter-attack going.”

That is exactly how the Crimson opened the scoring. After dealing with pressure from the Tigers in the first 15 minutes, Harvard picked up the ball in its own half, and Akpan found the feet of Fucito on the left side of the box. Fucito put in a cross to Rousmaniere, who tallied his second goal of the season.

The Crimson doubled its lead five minutes before halftime. Junior Brian Grimm sent a free kick into the penalty area towards Stamatis, who was darting to the near post. Stamatis hit the ball first time on the volley, hammering it into the back of the net.

Princeton came out strong after the break, but was unable to carve out many chances. As the Harvard back line frustrated the Tigers, the game became more and more physical. Tough tackles in the midfield made for a heated finish, and the game ended with 38 fouls and six yellow cards.

As in the first half, Harvard’s best opportunities came via the counter-attack. The Crimson forced Tiger goalkeeper Joe Walter into four second-half saves.

“We’re getting a lot better at linking together,” Fucito said of Harvard’s ability to move quickly up the field. “We have a lot of speed, skill, and are gaining that tactical awareness.”

At the heart of the offense is the talented striking duo of Akpan and Fucito, named midweek as Division I’s “most exciting combination” by College Soccer News.

“It’s definitely a privilege playing with Andre [Akpan],” Fucito said. “I think we understand each other’s strengths, and we’re only getting better.”

That will come as scary news to the rest of the league. The Crimson has just five games remaining on its schedule, and Harvard will not be able to ease up if it is to regain its title as Ivy champions after losing it last year.

“We want to take it one game at a time,” Fucito said. “Now that we are alone in first place, everyone wants to take us down. I think we have some of our toughest games yet to come.”

Next up for the Crimson is a non-conference matchup against Providence tomorrow, as the game kicks off at 3 p.m. on Ohiri Field.

“We want to keep momentum going,” Akpan said. “We are on a five-game win streak right now, our confidence is flowing, and we want to continue that.”

—Staff writer Jay M. Cohen can be reached at jaycohen@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Soccer