Harvard Explained: How to Get Veritas on Your Ass

Victoria’s Secret’s top model Alessandra Ambrosio doesn’t need a Harvard degree to rock our 17th-century insignia. For the fall of
By Stephanie M. Woo

Victoria’s Secret’s top model Alessandra Ambrosio doesn’t need a Harvard degree to rock our 17th-century insignia. For the fall of 2008, Harvard participated in Victoria’s Secret “Pink” limited edition collegiate line, requiring the Harvard trademark office to allow the panty company permission to use the Ivory Tower logos on a limited amount of goods.

Harvard allows pretty much anything from glassware to backpacks to be licensed, but obtaining rights to the trademark is not easy. In order to acquire trademark licenses, companies and individuals must go through a procedure that includes paying royalties for Harvard items sold, submitting sample products, and joining the Fair Labor Association.

And selling licenses isn’t all the trademark office does. Their duties also include policing the illegal use of the Harvard trademark on an international scale. “This is what I find most exciting,” says Rick Calixto, director of Harvard’s Licensing Program. “Alumni and students call us to notify us of unauthorized use of our trademark at, say, colleges in Ecuador and on products in Peru.”

After covering the office operation fees, the trademark office donates all royalties to undergraduate financial aid initiatives. So don’t feel so guilty about buying one of those t-shirts...at least you’re helping to pay for a fellow student’s education!