POPSCREEN: Deerhoof

"Fresh Born" dir. Mitch

By Jeffrey W. Feldman, Crimson Staff Writer

So we meet again, Deerhoof. Your cryptic half-lyrics and peculiar melodies have fooled me before, but no more will I fall victim to your deception. I am determined to discover the sinister meaning behind your bizarre art rock semblance.

The video transmission, unassumingly titled “Fresh Born,” begins with a small group of giddy Asian men pretending to play guitar and drums during some strange chanting. This is not the Deerhoof I’m familiar with, and I’m becoming very afraid. But wait, it’s a fake out! Soon a bearded mystery man arrives to break up the revelry, and the meat of this strange message begins.

It all seems so simple and innocent: the sunny Malkmus-style intro riff, the bright multicolored lighting, the stuffed gorilla holding a baseball bat—but I know there’s something evil going on here. Just look at drummer Greg Saunier’s devilish eyes as he viciously hits his cymbal in a downward stabbing motion, or how the band seems to revere the stuffed gorilla that eventually takes down one of the weaker band members. Perhaps this strange creature is the brains behind their apocalyptic plot. As tension rises, the camera is turned away from the video set to show five seated, disinterested people. Who are these new faces? Henchmen? Hostages?

No, that’s crazy. I’m getting worked up about nothing. Maybe I’m reading too much into this. Maybe Deerhoof is just a group of hyper, innovative rockers who write songs about Bambi and pandas. I should stop freaking out about this stuff.

Wait, why is the guitarist making sure the camera records his hammer-ons? It’s probably a code! Play it again.