Thrilling Ending Gives Harvard Big Win

By Stephanie Krysiak, Contributing Writer

Last night inside Levitates Pavilion, a battle raged between the Harvard women’s basketball team (5-4) and the University of Vermont (5-3). At the end of the day, it was the Crimson that withstood the forty-minute slugfest and survived, defeating the Catamounts, 69-67.

“I think we came into this game with a lot to prove to ourselves,” senior Katie Rollins said. “We had to prove what we are made of, how tough we are. I think that Vermont was a good test for us. They are a great team, but we were able to bounce back from Tuesday’s night’s loss and play forty minutes of tough basketball.”

It seemed that the Crimson was cruising to its fifth win of the year as the team led 68-62 with just over a minute to play, but Vermont junior Courtnay Pilypaitis had other things in mind. The Cantamount guard sunk a three point shot from deep center court to bring Vermont within three of the Crimson with 1:06 left in the second half.

A steal and subsequent jump shot by Vermont’s Andrea Cihal brought Vermont within one of the Crimson just twelve seconds later. But this was the last threat that the Cantamounts could mount. Ultimately, Harvard fought its way to a to a two point victory, as senior guard Nikki Finelli hit her second free throw with two seconds left and senior forward Katie Rollins kicked the ensuing Vermont inbounds pass out of harms’ way to secure the victory.

“Usually when you make the kind of errors we made at the end, the pressure mounts, and you roll over, and the momentum shifts,” coach Kathy Delany-Smith said. “I was really happy with our youth that we didn’t roll over and die. It’s a big win.”

The Cantamounts held the momentum in the first half, as it started the game with a 14-4 run. But with some key shots by senior Katie Rollins, and sophomore Emma Markley, the Crimson was able to tie up the score.

“I think that we were not going to be denied tonight and that showed on the court,” Rollins said. “We had to battle for every basket. I don’t think that anyone was ahead by more than five points the entire night, but we were able to pull it out in the end.”

By the time there was a little over five minutes left in the first half, the Crimson had pulled ahead 26-18 with another lay-up by Rollins. Momentum shifted again, however, as the play of Vermont’s junior forward, Alissa Sheftic, on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court, helped Vermont pull within two of Harvard, 30-28 with only 2:57 left in the first half.

It was one change, which sparked this turnaround: the Catamounts began using full court pressure to force turnovers.

“I thought that Vermont’s defense was really good,” Delany-Smith said. “We had to do a lot of junk defenses tonight which I think threw them off, took away their comfort zone and messed them up a little bit.”

Despite the Crimson’s defensive efforts, by the end of the first half, the score was 34-33, Vermont.

The Catamounts also came out strong in the second half, and gained a four-point lead over Harvard. But the Crimson was not ready to quit just yet.

Harvard tied the game at 39, and then fought out the next seven minutes, which were characterized by four ties and seven lead changes until two Berry free-throws started off a 6-0 Crimson run in which Emma Moretzsohn and Rollins both made shots. The Crimson never looked back from there on out.

“Moretzsohn showed us some real fight tonight, and that’s what we are looking for in spurts from her,” Delaney-Smith said.

Brogan also had a fantastic offensive night, setting her career high by leading the team with eighteen points. Rollins was strong down low, coming up with seventeen points.

“Brogan Berry was positively great, and Kate Rollins was outstanding tonight,” Delaney-Smith said. “Overall I am pretty happy with the game.”

Women's Basketball