A Love Letter to HUDS

The staff of Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) has outdone itself once again. In an attempt to cope with an
By John F. Pararas

The staff of Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) has outdone itself once again. In an attempt to cope with an increase in food prices, HUDS has taken the reshuffling approach to budgetary restraints. Instead of continuing to offer us a wide variety of entrée options, they have decided to merely serve up the daily offerings multiple times in multiple locations at each meal.

Now, I am possibly the biggest proponent of double-counting, but I wouldn’t extend this to my dining experience. Sure, I’ll take just about any class that will get me out of another requirement. But while the Government department might not realize that Spanish Cb has almost nothing to do with anything (including Spanish), I am not having it when HUDS puts pasta on the menu as an entree.

I have not gone to a lunch or dinner at Harvard in three-and-a-half years without having pasta as an option, and just because it is apportioned in two dishes does not mean that HUDS has solved the rising food price issue. First of all, we aren’t fooled. Second of all, this is just inefficient. Now pasta gets cold and soggy faster, as it sits in that gross pool of water that inexplicably cannot be drained out in two different serving dishes.

While I would argue that panninis are the best thing that has happened to HUDS lunch since popcorn chicken, HUDS can’t just take the cold cuts, cheese, and bread (all found in the deli area), melt them together and expect us not to notice that for lunch we can either make ourselves a sandwich or eat the same sandwich that was already prepared by the grill staff. In short, chicken pesto panninni is delicious; smoked turkey pannini is insulting. I know how to make a sandwich and how to operate a pannini press.

I would also like to point out that just because the cost of food has increased, Harvard students have not become vegetarians across the board. On Feb. 16, 2008, the following was offered for dinner: vegetarian paella, baked potatoes, spaghetti, brown rice, carrots, gravy, sour cream, scallions, and shredded cheddar cheese. Was this a Great Depression themed dinner? What was the gravy for?

Another grievance I have with this year’s changes to the dining halls, although not directed at HUDS in general, is the presence of the flat-screen televisions. Whose brilliant idea was it to put the generously donated TV’s in their current—and utterly useless—position inside the serving areas? Oh, right. The Harvard College Consulting Group (HCCG). Come on, Harvard. Even PBHA got the memo and stopped using HCCG’s free consulting “services” and dished out money for some real help.

Speaking of wasting resources, what the shit is happening with Brain Break? I realize that I am not a preschooler and that I don’t actually need a snack-time. But, much like taking a nap, that doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy it. So if HUDS is going to spend money to give us something to eat when we are studying or have come home drunk on a random weeknight, at least they could think critically about what they are leaving out. I don’t know if the HCCG told you to do it, but putting out only one jar of peanut butter and two jars of jelly is just a bad call. It’s even worse when there is no bread. Lock it up, already.