College Accused of Overcharging Students in Study Aboad Program Amidst National Controversy

By Ahmed N. Mabruk, Contributing Writer

A lawsuit filed Feb. 8 is challenging Wheaton College’s practice of charging students standard tuition rates to study abroad, on the grounds that many of the programs are less expensive than a full semester’s tuition.

The suit, filed by a parent of a recent Wheaton graduate, comes at the same time as a probe by the office of New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo into the way colleges arrange contracts with providers of study abroad programs.

“Wheaton believes our [policies] regarding payment for study abroad programs are appropriate,” said Michael Graca, Wheaton assistant vice president for communications.

“Students know [the policies] are very clearly stated on program material and on the [Wheaton Center for Global Education]’s Web site.”

A public statement from Wheaton College President Ronald A. Crutcher argued that the school has opened up the opportunity to study abroad to many students who would otherwise not be able to.

“The college’s policy...allows students who receive Wheaton institutional grants for financial aid—approximately 60 percent [of] our students—the ability to apply those grants to the approved institution overseas,” the statement read.

Harvard University spokesman John D. Longbrake, who said he was unfamiliar with the details of the Wheaton lawsuit, confirmed last month that the University was among the schools subpoenaed in Cuomo’s investigation.

Harvard’s Office of International Programs (OIP) declined to comment on the subpoena due to its ongoing nature, but Associate Director Giorgio DiMauro said the University has no cause for concern.

Study abroad participation has mushroomed at Harvard over the past six years. Last year, 659 students enrolled in a study abroad program during term time or over the summer, compared with 160 in 2001-2002, according to the OIP Web site.