You want to hold my hand? Will the Ad Board find out?

Schooled in the Ways of Harvard Love

Ever attend office hours just to get a glimpse of that gorgeous Stat TF? Or hear rumors about a student
By Signe C. W. Conway

Ever attend office hours just to get a glimpse of that gorgeous Stat TF? Or hear rumors about a student dating a proctor and wonder about the benefits of such a convenient setup? How about that freshman who takes nightly study breaks with their experienced PAF? Before you end a long-distance relationship with your high school sweetheart, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1) Professors, TFs, Tutors and CAs: completely off limits. According to the university document entitled “Sexual Harassment and Unprofessional Conduct: Guidelines in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences” (online for your convenience), “Officers and other members of the teaching staff should be aware that any romantic involvement with their students makes them liable for formal action against them.” Students desperate for a loophole could point to the fact that this rule refers only to your own academic instructor, but test the waters at your own risk—the Guidelines stress that such relationships are always “asymmetric in nature” and should be avoided.

2) Proctors: also a no-no...at least for freshmen. “Proctors can provide social and academic advising, becoming a source of strength and support for first years,” says Sarah K. Lipson, a current proctor in Hurlbut Hall and executive assistant to the dean, adding, “Nothing would compromise this more than an intimate relationship between a student and his or her proctor.” In light of this unique bond between proctor and student, Lipson says, “The Freshman Dean’s Office is very clear that anything of the sort would not be tolerated.”

3) Peer Advising Fellows: surprise surprise, adviser and advisee must maintain professional distance. The Peer Advising Fellows Guide 2007-2008 states clearly in its list of rules: “Do not engage in intimate relations with your advisees.” Freshmen—still going to call your PAF with those “urgent” concerns? Upperclassmen—still want to be a PAF?

If you’ve already broken one (or more) of these rules, congratulations on escaping the wrath of the Ad Board. But it might be wise to hit up BC or Tufts the next time you crave some one-on-one instruction.