Coaching Duo Puts Spark Into Crimson

By Max N. Brondfield, Contributing Writer

Being the newcomer on a team isn’t just difficult for freshmen.

Just like players, even coaches with ample experience often find themselves in unfamiliar environments and must adapt to new faces and a new culture.

As daunting as this task may be, first year Harvard men’s lacrosse assistant coaches Anthony Kelly and Kevin Warne have adjusted flawlessly in their short time with the Crimson.

While Kelly and Warne, who specialize in faceoffs and defense, respectively, have an extensive knowledge of the technical aspects of the game, it is their attitude and enthusiasm that has earned the respect of their players and colleagues and has the program buzzing with excitement.

“These two guys had everything we were looking for,” head coach John Tillman said of the search for a new staff. “They’re high energy, passionate, and work very, very hard. They want to see our kids improve.”

Tillman’s praise of his new assistants echoed throughout the team.

“We’re buying into them as much as they buy into us,” senior tri-captain Brooks Scholl added. “We’re 100 percent behind the changes they’ve made.”

So, what has helped these two coaches integrate so seamlessly into Harvard men’s lacrosse?

First, as Tillman insists, respect between players and staff is mutual.

“The biggest thing we can do is let them know that we support them and we care about them,” the head coach said.

This respect translates to the field as well, where the coaches do not hesitate to challenge the athletes.

“Coach Warne wants us to play physical, smart defense,” Scholl explained. “He relies on us to play smart.”

“[Warne] has broken down one-on-one D to every single step,” tri-captain Nick LaFiura admired. “The system is complicated, but once you get it down it makes sense.”

This balance of expectation and support seems particularly appropriate, considering Harvard’s youth.

After graduating the number two face off man in the country last year in John Henry Flood, the Crimson found itself with a large gap to fill.

“I couldn’t believe it when I showed up on day one and the guys looked at me and said none of them had ever faced off before,” Kelly admitted. “At the same time, I was looking forward to the challenge. Often times, when someone has done something for a long period of time, it’s tough to correct their bad habits. This gave me a chance to teach and mold the kids with my philosophies.”

Both coaches’ philosophies are worth noting, as they have the knowledge to back them up.

After a four-year career at The Ohio State University, in which Kelly led the team in groundballs every season, the face off machine began a professional career in multiple leagues. This big-time experience resonates with players before they even get to know Kelly as a coach.

“I play in the MLL and NLL, so it helps the kids buy into what I am teaching them,” he observed. “Because these things have been successful for me over the years, it offers some validity to what I teach them everyday.”

As for Warne, besides a collegiate career at Hofstra that included two All-America East Conference nominations, the defensive mastermind assisted at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, where he helped the Retrievers to a NCAA quarterfinal berth last season.

Whatever training these quality assistants have imparted on the athletes, some of it has clearly proved effective. Harvard has blasted out of the starting blocks in the first month of the season and the Crimson stands at 3-1, including an 8-5 victory over a Massachusetts team it had not beaten in four years. Invigorated by coaching staff as well as its recent hot play, the Crimson has high expectations for the rest of this season.

“I was excited to come to Harvard to have the opportunity to build a successful program,” Kelly explained. “[The coaches] all feel that Harvard has been a ‘sleeping giant’ and we all believe that something great can happen here with lacrosse.”

It seems that the first great move was hiring two stellar assistants, a decision that Tillman certainly has not taken for granted.

“I feel very fortunate,” he said. “They’ve done a tremendous job and if I could [recruit staff] again I would do it the same way.”

Men's Lacrosse