Tourney Time: Frozen Four Awaits Crimson

Offense overcomes slow start behind Vaillancourt, Brine, and strong defense in shutout win

Sarah Wilson set up two of her teammates for scores in the win, in addition to having the team’s highest plus-minus rating at +2. Harvard will now look for redemption against Wisconsin in Duluth.
By Loren Amor, Crimson Staff Writer

After almost an entire period of scoreless back-and-forth hockey, it appeared that the No. 1 Harvard women’s hockey team was in store for another postseason nail-biter in its matchup with Dartmouth Saturday afternoon at Bright Hockey Center.

But with the final seconds of the first period of the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Tournament ticking down, Crimson junior Jenny Brine scored a goal that gave Harvard a 1-0 lead and opened the floodgates for the Crimson offense. Harvard defeated the Big Green, 5-1, in front of 1,497 fans to advance to the NCAA Frozen Four in Duluth, Minn.

“We got better as the game went on,” Harvard coach Katey Stone said. “I felt as though we kind of came out with both teams sort of feeling each other out a little bit and had some good opportunities but then all of the sudden started to get on our toes a little bit and maintain our aggressiveness.”

The victory made Stone one of only three coaches to win 300 games in their women’s hockey career.

The Crimson opened the scoring 19:37 into the first frame when junior Sarah Vaillancourt evaded a Dartmouth defender and found Brine in front of the net. Brine slammed the puck home for her 18th goal of the season and gave Harvard momentum going into the second period.

“We went in the locker room, and we were just really energized and ready to go for the second,” Brine said.

The Crimson struck again 9:34 into the second period, taking advantage of a power-play opportunity. Junior forward Sarah Wilson found freshman Kate Buesser, who slipped the puck past Dartmouth goalie Carli Clemis.

Harvard claimed a 3-0 advantage just over four minutes later, when a Wilson shot brought Clemis over to the right post, leaving the left side of the net wide open. Vaillancourt picked up the loose puck and went top shelf for the easy score.

With the Crimson running away with the game, Dartmouth came back 16:36 into the second period when sophomore forward Sarah Parsons found open space on the ice and aimed a high shot at Harvard sophomore goalie Christina Kessler.

Kessler got a glove on the puck but couldn’t reel it in as it went past her into the back of the net for Parsons’ 15th goal of the season.

“I think it was set up nicely,” said Big Green coach Mark Hudak. “That’s a tough puck for a goalie to handle with a shooter like that.”

But the Dartmouth defense couldn’t stop the bleeding for long, especially when a rash of penalties put the Big Green at a severe disadvantage. Junior Sarah Newman and senior Carrie Thompson were both sent to the penalty box within a minute of each other, giving the Crimson a 5-on-3 power play.

Harvard capitalized on the opportunity when Vaillancourt struck again, one-timing a pass from junior Katie Vaughn on a textbook play, to give the Crimson a 4-1 lead and essentially put the game out of reach for the Big Green.

“It kind of takes the wind out of your sails a little bit,” Hudak said. “I really think that that was [the] dagger. [It’s] pretty tough to come back from something like that.”

Harvard completed its offensive outburst 13:26 into the final period when Brine and Vaillancourt teamed up yet again to bring the score to 5-1. Vaillancourt took the puck behind the net before serving up a backhanded pass to a charging Brine. Brine hit the post on her first shot attempt but came through on the second for her second goal of the game.

Vaillancourt—a top-three finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Award—finished the game with two goals and two assists. She now has 62 points on the year.

Both goalies saw a fair share of action While Clemis allowed five scores, she also stopped 40 Crimson shots. Kessler, who leads the nation in all major goaltending categories, finished with 29 saves.

Special teams played a key role in the win. The Crimson was 3-for-4 on the power play and perfect on the penalty kill.

“We have a lot of weapons,” Stone said. “We have a lot of versatility...We have some pretty dynamic kids so we can do a lot of things that can help us be successful. Nine times out of 10 [on the power play] we score the same kind of goal because we know what we do works.”

Harvard will now make its first appearance in the Frozen Four since 2005, when it lost in the title game to Minnesota.

—Staff writer Loren Amor can be reached at lamor@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Ice Hockey