SPORTS BRIEF: Harvard women’s hockey coach Stone nominated for AHCA Women’s Hockey Coach of the Year

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Fresh off becoming only the third coach in college women’s hockey to win 300 games, Harvard women’s hockey coach Katey Stone received yet another honor yesterday, after being nominated as a finalist for the American Hockey Coaches Association’s (AHCA) Women’s Hockey Coach of the Year.

Under Stone’s guidance, the Crimson has cruised through this season to a 32-1-0 overall record, with its sole loss coming on Dec. 14 against New Hampshire. Harvard was also perfect in conference play, accumulating a 22-0-0 record.

Stone’s Crimson has already been able to claim its fair share of titles this season, winning the Beanpot, the ECAC regular season title, and the ECAC Tournament title.

Harvard also won its first NCAA Tournament game on Saturday, defeating Dartmouth, 5-1, in the quarterfinals round to advance to the NCAA Frozen Four, which takes place in Duluth, Minn. this weekend.

Stone also led the United States U-18 squad to a gold medal at the World Championship on Jan. 12 in Calgary, defeating Team Canada in the championship game.

Stone last won the AHCA award in 1999, when the Crimson won a national title in the now-defunct American Women’s College Hockey Association.

The honor will be presented on April 26 in Naples, Fla.

—LOREN AMOR

Women's Ice Hockey