Martin Commands The Crimson’s Offensive Charge

Martin currently leads the Crimson with 12 points and six assists, and she comes in at second in scoring with six goals. As a sophomore, Martin led Harvard’s offensive charge with 39 goals and 47 points.
By Alison E. Schumer, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s lacrosse team (2-0) has been steamrolling its opponents early in its season.

Last weekend the Crimson easily defeated Massachusetts (1-3), 20-11. A major powerhouse throughout the game was junior Kaitlin Martin, who had five goals and three assists.

“She did a phenomenal job that game all over the field,” senior Caroline Simmons said. “She took great shots and got goals at crucial times when we really needed them.”

Martin’s first goal came in the tenth minute of play in the first half, as she lobbed one in off an assist from Simmons. Her next two came quickly in the 20th and 26th minutes of the first stanza. Junior Sarah Bancroft assisted the second goal and senior Tara Schoen assisted the third.

Martin ended the half on a solid note for the Crimson, as she put in a goal for Harvard in the 30th minute of play off of another assist by Bancroft.

Martin only struck once in the second half in the 30th minute off of an assist by Schoen.

Martin and Schoen connected throughout the game; Schoen assisted Martin on two of her goals, and Martin assisted Schoen on one of hers.

Martin was not just an offensive threat during the game, but by playing good defense, she kept the ball on the Massachusetts’s side of the field.

“She was really aggressive and played defense,” Simmons said. “She got some really good checks and caused a lot of Massachusetts turnovers.”

Martin is currently second in scoring for the Crimson with 6 goals, and she leads the team in points and assists with 12 and six.

This season Martin is continuing the successes she had last year.

In 2007, as a sophomore, Martin led Harvard in scoring with 39 goals and 47 points. She went on a 13- game long winning streak. Her accolades throughout the season earned Martin a second-time All- Ivy selection.

In its season opener on Feb. 24 Harvard demolished Holy Cross 19-2. Martin was also a presence in this game.

Although she only had one goal, she created opportunities and had three assists on the day.

Over the past three years Martin has improved tremendously and not only become more of a scoring threat, but she has also learned how to create opportunities for others through passing and feeding the ball from behind the goal.

“I think having watched her for the last three seasons she has really grown as a player on and off the field,” senior captain Lauren Bobzin said. “She came in with a certain set of talents and has elaborated on them.”

Off the field, Martin displays qualities such as leadership and she is supportive of her teammates.

“She is a great teammate and leader,” Simmons said. “She is really great at communicating and she is a really supportive of her teammates.”

But luckily for Harvard, Martin is one of many in the offensive arsenal. Against Holy Cross, seven people scored multiple goals and against Massachusetts six players scored multiple goals.

“One of our biggest strengths is that we have many offensive threats.” Bobzin said.

Martin is off to an impressive start and will be a very valuable asset to the Crimson this season.

“I personally expect another big season from her,” Simmons said. “She is going to be even better this is year. She is not only scoring but getting assists and seeing the field really well.”

—Staff writer Alison E. Schumer can be reached at schumer@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Lacrosse