With only two pins, he is nevertheless reminiscent of Tommy Boy.

Harvard’s Own Political Junkies—Nay—Tommy Boys

Admittedly, sometimes it seems that political disinterest runs rampant among students—at least in comparison to the free-speech movements of the
By Mark Fuller

Admittedly, sometimes it seems that political disinterest runs rampant among students—at least in comparison to the free-speech movements of the 1960s. However not everyone in our generation relies on VoteGopher for political advice. Instead, some avid political junkies have ventured straight into the jaws of the national campaign.

Take, for example, Steve E. Johnston ’09, Northeast Co-Chair of Students for McCain. Eager to talk politics, Johnston reflected on McCain’s extensive military service and his “straight talk” style: “There are lots of politicians out there and few leaders. Even among Republicans, McCain is only presidential candidate that I would work for.”

In terms of duties, Johnson both informs and organizes student supporters. And once, he even got to drive the senator around New Hampshire in the official shadow car.

But student activism spans both sides of the partisan spectrum. Katherine C. Harris ’10, recently travelled to the Lone Star State, logging long hours for the Democratic contender, Senator Barack Obama, before the Texas Primary.

Encouraged by her freshman seminar professor Maxine Isaacs of the Kennedy School, Harris jumped at the chance to get involved. She has championed Obama from the start because of “his ability to convey his message to a wide range of voters—young, old, black and white.”

While Johnson and Harris don’t quite see eye to eye politically, both glowed about their experiences.

And they say we’re apathetic...Geez.