Protesters Unite for Vigil

Supporters of Tibetan independence gather to mourn casualties

By Shan Wang, Contributing Writer

On the eve of the one-month anniversary of the onset of violence in Tibet, Tibetans from the greater Boston community and several non-Tibetan supporters gathered by the T-stop in Harvard Square for their 30th evening of vigils in memory of Tibetans who have died since the March 14th protests.

Protesters held candles and chanted a Tibetan mantra wile standing in a circle around a large sign that declared, “China may kill our people but not our spirit.”

Dhondup Phunkhang, one of the organizers of the daily vigils, said their purpose is not to attack the Chinese, but to draw attention to the turmoil in the region and clarify the demands of Tibetan protestors.

“Emotions run high on both sides, especially among our youth,” Phunkhang said. “But we as a community want to encourage a dialogue. We want everyone to know there is no need to feel embarrassed by what we’re doing.”

Phunkhang, who was educated primarily in England after his father left Tibet in 1959, said he believes Tibetans have four main demands: that the Chinese government release imprisoned Tibetans, give free access to international media, negotiate with the Dalai Lama, and that the Olympic torch not be carried through Tibet.

“The Olympic torch cannot pass through Tibet if we are treated like we are,” said Kalsang Namgual, who immigrated from Tibet to India around 1990 and currently lives near Boston. “What does Tibet want? Like everyone else, we just want a good life.”

Linda A. Mancini, an American who helps runs a Buddhist center in Brookline and has been coming to the vigils once a week, voiced her support for the Tibetans.

“I think it’s important, as an American, literally to stand with these Tibetans,” she said. “I’m enriched by them. I have so much sympathy for them.”

Timothy M. Garrity, a converted Buddhist who studies with Harvard Buddhist Chaplain Lama Migmar Tseten, recited a Tibetan prayer for the deceased halfway through the vigil.

Phunkhang said that the vigils will be held continuously for a total of 49 days and periodically after that. According to Tibetan religion, 49 is the number of days it takes for the spirit to leave the body after death.