SPORTS BRIEF: Harvard Downed For Tenth Consecutive Time By No. 20 Brown, 11-2

By Ama R. Francis, Contributing Writer

The Harvard women’s water polo team (10-10, 3-4 CWPA North), in their last game of the regular season, struggled in yesterday’s loss to Ivy League rival Brown (10-13, 4-2 CWPA North). Though the game was played on the neutral Wheaton campus and the Crimson came out strong in the first period, in the end the No. 20 Bears were unconquerable. With a final score of 11-2, last night’s match marks the tenth consecutive Harvard loss at the hands of Brown.

At the end of the first quarter the Crimson only trailed 2-0. The team maintained a good defensive strategy throughout the first half of the game, spearheaded by junior goalkeeper Nicola Perlman, who is also a Crimson magazine chair.

Perlman had an impressive game in the net, blocking out six shots.

With two periods to go, the Bears were leading by just four goals. The heat picked up in the second half as both teams tried to intensify their offensive game.

With three and a half minutes to go in the third period Harvard at last earned their first goal. Yet they were unable to keep up the pressure. The Bears sealed the deal in the final periods of the match, netting four goals in the third and three goals in the fourth. Though the Crimson added another goal late in the game, the nine-point deficit was simply too much to overcome.

Harvard turned the ball over 14 times and threw away eight 6-on-5 opportunities. Four of these ejections were drawn by junior Devon MacLaughlin, who also scored one of the Crimson’s two goals.

Harvard co-captain Vivian Liao earned the other on a penalty shot.

The Crimson will next be in action at the Northern Championships on Saturday. The team will travel to Utica, N.Y. for the competition.

Women's Water Polo