‘Sketches!!’ Seeks Wider Talent Base

Director Cutmore-Scott wants to realize the potential of unused writers

By Melanie E. Long, Contributing Writer

What do you get when you leave seven of Harvard’s undergraduate writers in a room? According to the Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club, the answer is “Sketches!!,” a compilation of 17 original comedic skits that will run at the Loeb Ex through May 10.

Several months ago, the writers were offered the theme “Plan B” in order to kick-start the writing process. The theme was integrated into the sketches to varying degrees. One skit follows two men trying to come up with an alternative source of light as the expiration of the sun looms near, while another presents a humorous portrayal of the Salem witch trials.

Director J. Jack Cutmore-Scott ’10 came up with the idea of putting together a sketch comedy show after noticing the lack of similar opportunities for writers and actors to showcase their talent.

“It is basically a workshop of Harvard writing and acting talent, which hasn’t necessarily been done very much before,” Cutmore-Scott says.

In addition to providing a unique opportunity for collaboration, Cutmore-Scott reached out to writers who have not been involved in the theater community before. Attempting to remedy what he sees as a dearth of opportunities for writers to see their work shown onstage.

“There’s a very wide talent base at Harvard which is not being used,” he says. “It’s kind of going to waste. Very few writers feel they have the opportunity to have their work put up. The idea behind ‘Sketches!!’ is to get writers into the theater, collaborate with them, and put up their original work.”

Writing director Sarah E. Wick ’10 feels that the writers of “Sketches!!”—who come from places including the Lampoon, Hasty Pudding Theatricals, and The Crimson editorial staff—are a good representation of the writing community.

The diversity of the writing staff was important to Cutmore-Scott. “One of our major aims was to get people who aren’t necessarily in the theater community or exposed to it that much involved,” he says.

Wick notes that the strength of the writers made it easier to mentor them during the collaboration process. “I didn’t have to do that much because we have such talented writers,” she says.

From tongue-in-cheek farce to more serious fare, “Sketches!!” promises to provide a unique blend of theater and writing at Harvard.