'Blasted' Breaks Bone, Convention

By Kerry A. Goodenow, Contributing Writer

While the characters in “Blasted” may be “scared of dying,” the production itself makes life seem much more frightening. A series of rapes and detailed discussions of heinous crimes might offend innocent sensibilities, but if violence, cannibalism, and obscenities seem bearable, “Blasted” is worth watching.

Billed as “The New England Premiere,” a production of “Blasted” is running until April 12 at the Loeb Drama Center. Directed by Catrin M. Lloyd-Bollard ’08 and produced by David P. Thoreson ’08, the production could be considered a test of endurance with a running time of just over two hours and no intermission. But the intense and grotesque nature of the script makes it easy to remain engaged even as the play exceeds a comfortable duration.

The play opens in a hotel room, as Ian (Nick O’Donovan ’09) brings former flame Cate (Olga Zhulina ’09) back with him for the evening. Ian is a racist homophobe attached to his gun, and Cate a rather innocent girl prone to epileptic seizures. Their encounter quickly becomes sexually violent, moving from an innocent “Don’t put your tongue in, I don’t like it” to a rape. A soldier (Dan Pecci ’09) soon arrives at the room, and his interaction with Ian is also jarring and violent. But between the violence and brutality there exists a commentary on the effects of war (“You’re a nightmare”) and the role of violence (“Do you think it’s hard to shoot someone?”). And somewhere in the middle a mortar bomb explodes and blasts through the wall of the hotel, leaving the characters damaged, desperate, and starving.

A small cast allows for thoughtful characterization and all three actors are able to deliver. As their emotions change abruptly (“I love you, you’re stupid”), the cast skillfully navigates the challenging script. Lloyd-Bollard uses cast talents well, as Cate’s innocence and timidity (she sucks her thumb) counteracts Ian’s aggressively self-involved nature (after raping her he devours a muffin). The Soldier displays his arrogant confidence through his heavy-footed walk, his proud posture, and—more blatantly—when he decides to mark his territory by peeing on the bed like a dog. Rachel Flynn ’09, the fight choreographer, developed commendable choreography that’s precisely performed—the forceful breaking of a leg being one of the most prominent examples.

The technical aspects of Blasted play an obviously important role as video is used to support scenes that are unfolding. The set design helps the large space seem more intimate, with an oversized wall and doors and a large elevated bed in the center of the stage.

The lighting effectively supports every scene, and the musical selection wonderfully heightens the emotional impact. Notably, the song “I Love You” by the Dandy Warhols, which features the lyric “I Love You” repeated in a trance-like rhythm, makes the violence of a rape scene even eerier.

Blasted may not make you laugh or cry, but it will make your jaw drop. This production is a fine example of the good things that can be done with a bizarre and upsetting script. All of the technical and creative elements combine to create a cohesively creepy show. Although the content ranges from startling to revolting, the effort and quality of this production is anything but.