Shapiro Named Assistant Dean

By Aditi Balakrishna, Crimson Staff Writer

Catherine R. Shapiro, the current resident dean of Leverett House, has been appointed to the newly-created post of assistant dean of residential life, House Master Howard M. Georgi ’68 announced last week.

After serving in Leverett for seven years—in a position that individuals typically hold for only five—Shapiro will take her experience to University Hall to provide administrative support for the resident deans of all the Houses.

“The Office of Residential Life and the dean of the College’s office are spending a lot of time on the new housing plans for 12, 15 years down the road,” Shapiro said. “This is a push to make sure the resident deans and students now get first-class treatment.”

Last month, the College announced plans for a $1 billion-plus House renovation project that will take place over the course of 15 years, beginning as early as 2011.

Shapiro said she would be working closely with the five new resident deans next year, helping them to adjust to their jobs in a time when much administrative attention will be diverted to this large-scale, long-term project.

Her job will also entail working on crisis and emergency management planning, as well as helping with projects pertaining to calendar change plans.

In the face of curricular changes, Shapiro said she will also assist the resident deans in adapting their knowledge base and advising strategies.

Shapiro will be working under Dean of Residential Life Suzy M. Nelson, who could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Lauren E. Brandt, a tutor in her third year at Leverett House, will take the reins from Shapiro this fall. The official resident dean changeover will take place in July, Brandt said.

“I’m just really excited to continue to be a part of the Leverett community,” said Brandt, a graduate student in the history of American civilization. “There’s a lot to learn, but I’ve got a great teacher.”

Shapiro and her son Robert, a second-grader who Shapiro said grew up in the House and thinks of himself as “junior resident dean of Leverett,” will continue to live nearby.

—Staff writer Aditi Balakrishna can be reached balakris@fas.harvard.edu.