High Jumper Sets the Bar in Dominant Year

By Dixon McPhillips, Crimson Staff Writer

As the saying goes, “Actions speak louder than words.”

That certainly would be the case with junior high jumper Becky Christensen, who, despite being sparing in words, is not sparing in her ability to flat out jump.

“[Becky’s] not one of the most vocal people on the team,” co-captain Sally Stanton said. “But she is definitely one of the most consistently good competitors on the team.”

With a tough act to follow having won the high jump at the outdoor Heptagonals and competing at the NCAA Championships, Christensen did her sophomore campaign one better, winning the high jump in the Penn Relays and taking home first in both the indoor and outdoor Heps.

“[Becky’s] a tremendous talent,” head coach Jason Saretsky said. “One of the key characteristics of how she competes, which also reflects who she is, is her calm, cool demeanor. But she is an awesome competitor.”

With her wins at both indoor and outdoor Heps, the Texas native moved into impressive company. Dora Gyorffy ’01 and Kart Siilats ’02 were the last Crimson high jumpers to accomplish the feat and the former went on to be an Olympian. Christensen hopes to join Gyorrfy in representing her country on the global stage, traveling to Eugene, Ore. for the USATF qualifying trials at the end of June.

At the indoor NCAA Championships earlier this year, Christensen matched her personal-best 1.83 meter clearance in dramatic fashion. Despite having trouble with the clearance at 1.80 meters, Christensen made it on her third attempt and then promptly tied her best on the first try. She ultimately finished fourth in the event.

In addition to receiving All-American honors for her jump at the NCAAs, Christensen was also named women’s co-captain, along with classmate Aishlinn O’Callaghan, for next year’s squad.

“[Becky’s] very well respected by the coaches and the other people on the team,” Stanton said. “[She] is definitely someone who represents the team both in the league and outside the league.”

—Staff writer Dixon McPhillips can be reached at fmcphill@fas.harvard.edu.

Track and Cross Country