In Baccalaureate Address, Faust Gives Harvard Seniors Parting Advice

By Clifford M. Marks and Nathan C. Strauss, Crimson Staff Writers

Forty years ago, University President Drew G. Faust graduated from Bryn Mawr College, headed for a career in academia. This afternoon, she gave some advice to soon-to-be Harvard graduates considering different paths.

At the baccalaureate address to the Class of 2008 in Memorial Church today, Faust focused on the unease that many Harvard students feel in taking lucrative positions in finance or consulting. Thirty-nine percent of seniors who are entering the workforce this year have jobs in one of those fields, according to a Crimson survey released today.

“Why does this seemingly rational choice strike a number of you as not understandable, as not entirely rational, as in some sense less a free choice than a compulsion or necessity?” Faust asked. “Why does this seem to be troubling so many of you?”

She suggested that the seniors were actually asking her to help them unravel the meaning of life.

“You are not sure if a generous starting salary at a prestigious brand name organization together with the promise of future wealth will feed your soul,” Faust said.

As parting advice, Faust urged the seniors to at least try a career they could be passionate about—“whether it is painting or biology or finance.”

“If you don’t pursue what you think will be most meaningful, you will regret it,” she said. “Life is long. There is always time for Plan B. But don’t begin with it.”

Though Faust initially had to raise her voice above the Memorial Church bells—which rang in the 3 o’clock hour during the first paragraph of her speech—student response to the address was overwhelmingly positive.

Laughter and applause greeted a reference to the Mather Lather, and students responded similarly when Faust expressed her surprise at finding out that dining halls stopped serving dinner nearly two weeks ago, while seniors remained on campus.

“I know we need to wean you from Harvard in a figurative sense,” she said. I never knew we took it quite so literally.”

Despite Faust’s contemporary focus, the baccalaureate ceremonies did not lack for ritual or religion. Cap-and-gown-clad seniors entered the church in procession and heard several of their classmates read passages from Confucius, the Bible, Hindu scripture, and the Quran.

And while the chairs set up in Tercentenary Theatre for tomorrow’s Class Day exercises were only partially filled with parents, the pews inside were packed with students.

Seat-less seniors ringed the back and balcony, and they began using their programs as fans to battle the rising temperature even before Peter J. Gomes, the minister of Memorial Church, took the pulpit to make introductory remarks.

“It was hot—really hot,” senior Tyler J. Klunick ’08 said. “But the Faust speech was really good. She made it humorous and addressed things that the students cared about and paid attention to.”

Sarah E. Stein ’08 echoed this sentiment as the graduating class streamed out of the church, greeted by more than 100 camera-clutching parents.

“You could tell she cared enough about undergraduates to know a few things,” Stine said. “I thought she did a great job considering she must have been nervous, given that it was her first commencement. So flying colors, I’d say.”

—Staff writer Clifford M. Marks can be reached at cmarks@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Nathan C. Strauss can be reached at strauss@fas. harvard.edu.