Parents Criticize 'Controlled Choice' at Cambridge Public Schools

Public School committee holds hearing on socioeconomic placement program

By Michelle L. Quach, Crimson Staff Writer

Parents criticized the Cambridge public schools’ controlled choice system, a placement program that attempts to increase diversity based on socioeconomic status rather than race, in a hearing last night. At the meeting, held by the school community relations subcommittee, parents pleaded for more access to information and a more humanized approach.

Controlled choice allows parents to submit a ranked list of preferred elementary schools but ultimately uses an algorithm that assigns students to fulfill set demographic ratios.

Cambridge parent Raymond Traieth, who said he believes controlled choice has failed, said the “cold cynicism” of the program alienates people from the values it was meant to support.

Many parents asked that the school district provide more detailed information about how and why decisions are made, as well as inform families earlier to help reduce the anxious waiting period.

Some voiced concerns about the effects of a long commute on their children, suggesting that the algorithm be tweaked to allow parents to prioritize factors—like geographical distance or educational programs—on their preference form.

A few parents advocated a return to the neighborhood schools system. Some were not convinced of the underlying value of a socially engineered school system.

“We actually had less choice in Cambridge with a controlled choice program than we would in a town without it,” said Bill Hees, a parent who also said he worried that controlled choice was prioritizing socioeconomic diversity over an appropriate education for all students.

School committee member Patricia M. Nolan ‘80 said the board would definitely keep parents’ suggestions in mind. “I can say it’s highly likely that they’ll be considered,” she said. “And I think the pleas across the board for more information would be the easiest to satisfy.”

Marc C. McGovern, another member of the school committee, said that the school district has tried its best to publish available information online, but that parents should notify them if they need more specific information.

School committee member Luc D. Schuster, who served as the main moderator, reassured parents that the placement algorithm was being evaluated and that the committee was awaiting the results.

McGovern said that controlled choice will continue to be relevant to other issues as well, including the district’s problem with its middle schools and its ongoing search for a new superintendent.

He also said he welcomed public comment on the issue and that the school committee would be willing to hold meetings daily for people to share their thoughts.

“We’ll keep coming if you do,” he said.

—Staff writer Michelle L. Quach can be reached at mquach@fas.harvard.edu.