Freshman Owusu Continues Family Tradition

Last week against Cornell, Owusu stood out when he picked off two passes in the first half. The freshman comes from a family of top-notch athletes. His father Francis represented Ghana in the 1976 Olympics.
By Erika T. Butler, Contributing Writer

Football is one of those sports where talent often runs in the family. Archie, Peyton, and Eli Manning, Howie and Chris Long, Kellen and Kellen Winslow—the list of NFL families is lengthy.

Harvard football is no exception to this trend, as the Crimson can say it has a player whose family heirloom is a football.

Hailing from Oxnard, California, freshman defensive back Brian Owusu is the second oldest in a family of five standout athletes.

He and his older brother, Chris, are both currently playing football for Division I schools.

The Owusu boys clearly get their athleticism from their father, Francis, who represented Ghana in the 400-meter race at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

“He doesn’t like to talk about [the Olympics] much,” Brian said, “but we always tell him that we’re really proud of him for just being a great dad, and not being one of those dads who boasts about it and tells everybody.”

“Athletics runs in my family,” Francis said. “[When Brian and Chris were] in fourth [and fifth] grade, people were telling me how good they were in sports. I told them I would allow them to do sports only if they continued to do very well in school. If their grades fell, even one grade, I wouldn’t allow them to do sports anymore.”

Heeding their father’s advice, Brian and his older brother are both playing football for programs that stress academics.

Chris is a sophomore wide receiver and kick returner at Stanford and was one of only eight true freshmen to see playing time last year.

He made his mark by notching a 41-yard touchdown reception—Stanford’s second longest pass play of the 2008-2009 season—and he is currently second in the nation in kickoff return average.

Despite Chris’ tremendous success on the field, scholarship has always been stressed in the Owusu household.

Mr. and Mrs. Owusu taught their children that doing well in school is guaranteed to be valuable throughout life and that sports should always be secondary.

“Academics stays with you for the rest of your life,” Francis said. “Anything can happen in sports; you can get hurt. If you don’t have a good education, then what?”

After proving that he could keep his grades up, Brian pursued many different sports.

He has played baseball, soccer, basketball, track and field, and football. Brian was a three-sport athlete in high school, earning nine letters in football, basketball, and track.

He was a two-time team captain in football and track, and during his senior year he became the captain of the basketball team as well.

Inspired by his brother’s success in football, Brian looked for his own opportunity to stand out at the collegiate level.

“Growing up, I’ve been surrounded by great athletes in my family,” Brian said. “Seeing [Chris] at Stanford and how he’s doing extremely well, I’m proud of him. I’ve just come out here, trying to make a name for myself. I just try to work hard in practice [so] it shows in the games.”

Since arriving on campus, Brian has once again found the balance between academics and athletics and he acknowledges that he was able to transition to the unique environment of Ivy League football because of his father’s emphasis on school.

“My dad stressed education way before sports,” Brian said. “He’s one of those really influential people in my life. I look up to him.”

Soon members of the Crimson may begin looking up to Brian.

The rookie has already begun to make an impact with the football team, grabbing two first-half interceptions in Harvard’s victory over Cornell last Saturday.

“Brian is a very determined guy,” his mother, Eva, said. “He hates to lose at anything. He’s a fighter; he will do whatever it takes [to win].”

“The transition has gone pretty well,” Brian added. “It’s still a big jump [from high school to college]. I’m starting to get the hang of things, get the plays down, watching film, [and] talking to the coaches. It’s going pretty well right now.”

Playing with preseason All-American Derrick Barker, All-Ivy League safety Collin Zych, and reigning Ivy League Defensive Rookie of the Year Matt Hanson should help Brian continue to improve as he hopes to help the Crimson stay undefeated in Ivy play this season.

“Derrick Barker, Barnes, Zych, Matt Hanson, all of the upperclassmen [in the] secondary have just been outstanding,” Brian said. “They’ve just helped me out through all the practices, all the lifting, the film, [and] getting better. They’ve just been there for me like I was their brother. I really appreciate that.”

3,000 miles away from home and among such a cohesive group of players, Brian has found a new athletic family. And if his parents get their wish, it will only be part of the success he finds at Harvard.

FeaturesFootball