Falling in Love with Hue

Last Thursday, students gathered for a colorful conversation at the Harvard Foundation-sponsored student panel The Color of Love: Interracial Dating ...
By BETH E. BRAITERMAN

Last Thursday, students gathered for a colorful conversation at the Harvard Foundation-sponsored student panel The Color of Love: Interracial Dating at Harvard. The discussion centered around the intricacies of Harvard’s interracial dating scene–covering the beautiful, the awkward, and the absurd.

Students became increasingly open up as the night unfolded.  Panelist Kimberly N. Foster ’11 discussed the touchy situation of bringing her white boyfriend home for Thanksgiving.  Teake ’12 recounted awkward conversations with his high school girlfriend’s family in which her father would talk about setting her up with Asian boys.

Panelists also commented on the fact that some Harvard students fetishize the prospect of dating someone of another race.  Linda D. Chavers, a graduate student in the audience, remembered how a white man tried to gain her affections by mentioning that while he had never dated a black woman, he had seen a lot of porn.

Students also pointed out less extreme examples of fetishization, referring in particular to the phenomenon of “Yellow Fever.”

“I have a few white friends who really love Asian women as potential mates,” said panelist Daniel C. Suo ’10. While agreeing that curiosity for interracial dating can be  good, panelists explored the problems that arise when people view interracial relationships to be based on sexual fantasy, not love.

Students praised the panel for its approach to the controversial issue. “They were sensitive to the fact that people use humor to relieve the anxiety surrounding the topic,” said Ross P. Ford ’12.

For those of you thinking about getting serious with that cutie from section, you might want to consider Foster’s words of wisdom: “Love is hard to come by.  If you find it, don’t let it go.”

For The Moment