Harvard Cruises to Third Conference Win

By Jessica L. Flakne, Contributing Writer

The Harvard men’s water polo team returned home to Blodgett Pool last night after a string of away games, and defeated CPWA opponent, the Connecticut College Camels, 13-4.

With this win, the Crimson extends its Northern Division winning record to 3-0 on the season, and gains momentum before a much anticipated weekend match-up against Brown.

The Crimson opened up a solid 4-1 lead in the first six minutes of play. Harvard held its three goal lead through most of the first period, but Connecticut College battled back, scoring with just over a minute to play in the quarter.

With 25 seconds left on the clock, the Camels took another shot on net that sophomore goalkeeper Alexandre Popp batted down.

Despite a descent into sluggish play to close the period, the Crimson still managed to escape with a 4-2 lead.

“We generated the opportunities,” said Harvard coach Erik Farrar after the game, “but we have to continue to work on putting them away.”

The Crimson showed more aggression in the second period, scoring twice within the first minute of play to widen its lead to 6-2.

Harvard’s defense stepped up its intensity as well, shutting down a Camel charge midway through the period, to create additional scoring chances.

Crimson sophomore Mike Katzer, stole the ball and sent it up the pool to fellow sophomore Kevin DiSilvestro who skipped one off of the water and up into the back right corner of the net.

DiSilvestro attacked the opposition on both ends of the pool through the entire game, tallying a total of four goals against the Camels, as well as a number of defensive steals on the other end of the pool.

“Kevin played a great game,” said Harvard senior captain Egen Atkinson, the current CPWA Northern Division player of the week. “He had four or five goals the last time we played [Connecticut College], so he’s definitely got their number.”

Harvard’s defense slowed a little in the last minutes of the second period, allowing Connecticut College’s Connor Matzinger to put one past the Crimson’s keeper, bringing the score at the end of the half to 7-3.

Matzinger opened the third period with another goal, but after that the majority of the quarter was played around the Camels’ net.

Connecticut College found itself at a major disadvantage in the third due to player penalties, and the Crimson was able to capitalize on these costly errors.

Katzer had another defensive steal and linked up again with DiSilvestro, who quickly crossed the ball to junior Jeff Lee.

Lee shot high into the left side of the net, tallying one of his three scores on the evening.

The offense had a number of great pass plays throughout the game that allowed it to transition quickly and catch the Camels off guard.

“We were moving the ball around well tonight,” DiSilvestro said. “My teammates were setting me up with some great passing and assists that made it easier to score.”

The Crimson held a 9-4 lead beginning the fourth period.

Harvard junior Alex Thompson converted on a pass from freshman Max Eliot 16 seconds into play.

Less than a minute later, DiSilvestro took the ball down the pool with no defenseman between him and the Connecticut College goalie.

DiSilvestro threw a few fakes and then rocketed the ball overtop a ducking keeper.

Katzer and DiSilvestro would each tally another goal before the end of the game, bringing the Crimson’s final margin of victory to 9 goals.

Harvard looks to carry momentum from this game into a matchup against Ivy rival Brown this weekend.

“We are really looking forward to this weekend,” Atkinson said. “We’re planning to come out and show what we have been training for and that is the focus of the team right now.”

The Crimson remains home this Saturday to face Brown in Blodgett Pool for a 4:30pm game start time.

Sunday afternoon Harvard will take on Iona at 2:30 pm, also at Blodgett.

The Crimson showed more aggression in the second period, scoring twice within the first minute of playto widen its lead to 6-2.

Sunday afternoon Harvard will take on Iona at 2:30pm, also at Blodgett.

Men's Water Polo