Editorials

America the Genteel

Obama’s much-derided bow in Japan did not deserve the criticism

By The Crimson Staff

Views of Americans as impolite and disrespectful are all too common. This global perception neither is an asset when navigating the intricacies of foreign policy, nor does it make potential allies especially receptive to American propositions. Courtesy and cultural sensitivity should be considered of paramount importance when dealing with other nations, and President Obama’s respectful bow to the Japanese emperor represents a sincere attempt to express respect and cultural acumen. Rather than deride this incident, observers should appreciate that Obama treats other countries with deserved respect.

When Obama visited Japan to advance America’s foreign-policy agenda, he attempted to convey cultural awareness by bowing. His bow was not perfectly executed. In this case, though, it’s the thought that counts. The intention of the bow was not to show submission or excessive deference. Critics who claim the bow served as a sign of weakness are misguided. The gesture solely demonstrated cultural sensitivity and was essentially harmless.

Similarly, the critique that this is a peculiar gesture or in some way not in keeping with a tradition of diplomacy misses the mark; former President Nixon attempted a similar gesture when he met with an emperor of Japan in 1971, albeit with more success. Nixon certainly had other problems with his presidency, but showing respect to a foreign dignitary was not one of them.

Grandstanding and prideful refusals to acknowledge cultural norms are not in the interests of the U.S. and should not be part of American diplomacy. Indeed, the fact that Obama’s bow managed to precipitate a media controversy indicates that spectators are too easily distracted from the real and substantive issues at hand. It is true, though, that in the world of foreign policy the subtleties and nuances of behavior can influence the discussion of serious issues. The attempt to be culturally sensitive can immediately start negotiations off on the right foot.

Of course, the bow should have been better executed, but the effort counted for a lot. Rather than deriding shows of respect to foreign representatives and attempting to extract unsupported conclusions, one should view the president’s choice as one that is an exercise in building goodwill. His decision to bow was a wise choice, not a weak one.

Editorials