Captain Conquers Grudge Match

By Christina C. Mcclintock, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard co-captain J.P. O’Connor came to the 28th Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational looking for revenge.

He returns to Cambridge as the fifth tournament champion in Harvard history.

“He has a tremendous desire,” Crimson coach Jay Weiss said. “He pulls matches out because he’s a competitor, and you can’t teach that.”

Earning major decisions in his first three matches, the 157-pounder pulled out last-second 5-4 victories in the quarterfinals and semifinals against Jesse Dong of Virginia Tech and Chase Pami of Cal Poly. For the senior, the victory against Pami—ranked No. 2 in the country—was particularly rewarding.

O’Connor had beaten Pami twice in the regular season last year, including in Las Vegas, but the Cal Poly wrestler won on the big stage in March, knocking O’Connor out of the national tournament and denying him the chance to earn All-American status for a third year in a row.

“I’ve been waiting a little less than a year to get a little revenge,” O’Connor said.

The co-captain faced off against Boise State’s Adam Hall in the final, defeating him in a 2-1 tiebreaker.

“In the final, I didn’t wrestle as well as I wanted to,” the senior said. “I was a little timid. But I got my hand raised. I’ve been in the finals three times before. It’s nice to finally get a win.”

O’Connor came into the tournament ranked third in the country, and his coach expects him to move to the No. 2 ranking after his performance this weekend.

For the co-captain, the victory is part of a campaign to win the National Championship this coming March.

“I consider myself the best in my weight class,” he said. “I want to win the National Title. I’m incredibly confident this year.”

The senior hasn’t been beaten yet this season.

“I’m really proud of him,” sophomore Walter Peppelman said. “I couldn’t ask for a better workout partner.”

Peppelman made some waves of his own with a sixth-place finish in the 149-pound division.

“He’s incredibly tough,” O’Connor said. “He goes out with a certain determination, a fire in his eyes that maybe I didn’t see last year. I couldn’t be [prouder] of the way he wrestled.”

It was the first time the sophomore had placed in a tournament.

“I think the difference between last year and this year is that he’s got a lot of confidence,” O’Connor said. “He’s making his way to maybe being an All-American.”

Practicing against a two-time All-American can only help.

“I’ve gotten so much better,” Peppelman said. “Having [O’Connor] as a partner only makes you better.”

O’Connor and Peppelman headlined an otherwise disappointing outcome for the Crimson. None of the other wrestlers won a match.

“I was hoping for more,” Weiss said. “Some guys have to make a decision about how good they want to be...Some guys have to compete at a higher level. That’s what they’re supposed to do.”

Recent injuries have also plagued Harvard’s wrestlers. Freshman Steve Keith, who owns a 7-2 record at 125 pounds, and Harvard’s top heavyweight, senior Andrew Knapp, did not compete. Keith was felled earlier in the season after rolling his ankle, and Knapp has yet to see action due to a knee injury. His backup, sophomore Spencer DeSena, is also out with bronchitis.

Considering the number of grapplers unable to compete, the Crimson may welcome a long break. Heading into reading period and exams, Harvard won’t hit the mat in a competition again until Dec. 29. But for those who remain on top of their game, the break will signal plenty of hard work.

“School comes first: we’re going to study,” Peppelman said. “When we have free time, we’re going to come in and work out once or twice a day and try to correct the mistakes we made this weekend.”

—Staff writer Christina C. McClintock can be reached at ccmcclin@fas.harvard.edu.

Wrestling