Spring 2009 Columnists

The Crimson Editorial Board is pleased to announce its Spring 2009 columnists

By The Crimson Staff, None

PIERPAOLO BARBIERI

"Foreign Intelligence"

Returning for a third and last semester, Pierpaolo Barbieri ’09’s “Foreign Intelligence” column will approach international politics from a historical and economic perspective, bringing the rest of the world to the ivory tower on alternate Fridays.

BRIAN J. BOLDUC

"Stubborn Things"

Brian J. Bolduc ’10 is an economics concentrator in Winthrop House. On alternate Tuesdays, his column, “Stubborn Things,” will remind Harvard of the conservative viewpoint it often forgets in campus debates. And, whatever may be the dictates of students’ passion, he will show that they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

LEWIS BOLLARD

"Into The Wild"

Lewis E. Bollard ’09 is a social studies concentrator living in Kirkland House. His column, “Into the Wild,” will continue to explore man’s changing relationship with animals and nature—and how Harvard professors and students are engaging with it. This semester the column will cover topics from animal law to ecoterrorism and the growth of the “Whole Foods generation” on alternate Wednesdays.

RAÚL A. CARRILLO

"On Common Ground"

Raúl A. Carrillo ’10, a returning columnist, is a social studies concentrator in Lowell House. His column, “On Common Ground,” will explore globalization, world affairs, and issues of common human welfare. He will attempt to find unity in difference on alternate Fridays.

CLAY A. DUMAS

"The Politics of Crisis"

Clay A. Dumas ’10 is a social studies concentrator in Lowell House. His column, “The Politics of Crisis,” will run on alternate Thursdays.

COURTNEY A. FISKE

"The F-Word"

Courtney A. Fiske ’11 is a social studies concentrator in Lowell House. Her column, “the F-word,” will explore contemporary feminism, gender norms, and relationships on alternative Tuesdays.

ADAM R. GOLD

"Fully Charged"

Adam R. Gold ’11 lives in Adams House and is concentrating in physics. His column, “Fully Charged,” is about science and technology and how they impact Harvard students. The column will touch on topics ranging from Napster to nanotubes and will focus on bringing the latest research to the rest of us on alternate Mondays.

CHRISTOPHER B. LACARIA

"Modernity and its Discontents"

Christopher B. Lacaria ’09 originally from Waterbury, Conn., is a history concentrator in Kirkland House and the editor emeritus of The Harvard Salient. “Conservative” in habit and disposition, but not in ideology, his column, “Modernity and Its Discontents,” returns for a fifth and final semester. It will critically survey the absurdities and excesses of the postmodern Academy on alternate Thursdays.

EMMA M. LIND

"The New Provincialism"

Emma M. Lind ’09 is a history and literature concentrator living in Winthrop House who prefers web traffic to real traffic. On alternate Fridays, “The New Provincialism” will study domestic and turn the lens on our country’s real provincials: those who think they’ve got it all wrapped up and figured out.

KIRAN R. PENDRI

"Futurology"

Kiran R. Pendri ’11 will write “Futurology,” a column focusing on his creative predictions about what may happen. Mr. Pendri, who lives in Lowell House, is the son of scientists from India.

ALEXANDRA A. PETRI

"Petri Dishes"

Alexandra A. Petri ’10 is a joint concentrator in English and the classics in Eliot House. She hopes that her alternate Friday column, “Petri Dishes,” will continue to resemble a real petri dish by allowing her to turn a distinctive lens onto university cultures. Also by containing a strange green fungal growth in one corner.

NOAH M. SILVER

"Hindsight"

Noah M. Silver ’10 is a history concentrator in Quincy House. In his column, “Hindsight,” he will use historical analogies to examine current affairs—at both a local and national level—on alternate Wednesdays.