CHL Talks Calories, Cash

By Bita M. Assad and Ahmed N. Mabruk, Crimson Staff Writerss

Members of a nutrition advisory body debated the merits of various methods of presenting calories and serving sizes for dining cuisine at a meeting of the Committee on House Life yesterday. The possibility of installing an ATM in the Quad was also on the CHL’s agenda.

The nutrition group—comprising Harvard University Dining Service officials, University Health Services dieticians, undergraduates from the Community Health Initiative and Eating Concerns Hotline and Outreach, and House administrators—debuted a revised approach to providing nutritional information about dining hall cuisine.

In an effort to accommodate students dealing with or recovering from eating disorders, HUDS removed caloric information displayed conspicuously on placards under food titles at the beginning of the academic year.

But this removal did not sit well in the stomachs of some students and parents. Concerned that the lack of information could fuel unhealthy eating habits, they requested that dining hall managers reinstitute the nutritional labels.

In a pressure cooker from health-conscious parents and students and individuals concerned that visual reminders could cue body image concerns and eating disorders, HUDS representatives said they’re trying to strike a balance between both sides.

On the table are two proposals, to be implemented in March. The first would provide less numerically detailed information about an item’s nutritional value on an accompanying card—for example, whether today’s chicken pot pie is a good source of fiber. The alternative plan would supply nutritional analysis of the day’s hot entrees, including calories, serving size, and fat content, in printed packets available at kiosks in each dining hall.

Additionally, HUDS plans to revamp its Web site to make obtaining nutritional information more user-friendly.

QUAD FAST CASH

If you’re a quadling ordering late-night takeout, it may be ATM access—not nutritional information—that gets in your way.

A Currier House resident on the Committee on House Life is spearheading an effort to bring an ATM to 64 Linnaean St., in light of the inconvenience and safety issues stemming from the lack of ATMs in close proximity to the Quad. Quad residents said this has forced them to trek to either Porter Square or Harvard Square to withdraw cash—a concern highlighted when students need money for cab fare or midnight snacks.

But a Harvard University Police Department representative at the meeting said HUPD would prioritize safety over convenience, citing the risks associated with installing an ATM in a residential area, which include increased foot traffic and public access.

While ATM providers, including Bank of America, told Quad students leading the effort that budget woes would prevent them from installing an ATM, at least one bank—Harvard University Credit Union—has said it would provide the ATM at its own expense.

Tamar Holoshitz ’10, chair of the Undergraduate Council’s Student Affairs Committee, said Quad UC representatives have received more than 200 responses about the ATM issue. She added that she didn’t anticipate river Houses requesting ATMs as well.

—Staff writer Bita M. Assad can be reached at bassad@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Ahmed N. Mabruk can be reached at amabruk@fas.harvard.edu.