Weintraub Sets Winning Tone for Crimson

Junior captain maintains focus amidst milestone accomplishment

After leading the nation in service aces last year, junior setter Gil Weintraub notched another epic feat last week with his 1000th career set.
By Max N. Brondfield, Crimson Staff Writer

Over 1000 times the ball has floated gracefully through the air, perched just above the net for a salivating hitter.

Over 1000 times, various members of the Harvard men’s volleyball team have converted these perfect gifts into crushing kills, skillfully pummeling the ball to the ground.

And yet, over 1000 times, this seminal moment that brings crowds to their feet has hinged on one man’s performance—junior setter Gil Weintraub.

The third year star and co-captain notched his 1000th career assist this past week, showing vast improvement in only his second year as the squad’s on-court leader. In nearly every possession, Weintraub orchestrates the Crimson attack with precision and finesse, exhibiting a steady sense of leadership that is not lost on his teammates.

“Gil is essentially our quarterback,” fellow co-captain Brady Weissbourd says. “Every game we win or lose is based on Gil and he’s been doing everything he can to help us win games.”

Faced with such a burden but perhaps lacking the glory of football’s most revered position, the role of setter might deter greedier athletes; however, Weintraub has embraced his extraordinary penchant for setting the stage for teammates’ memorable moments.

“That’s just the nature of the game,” Weintraub laughs while describing his role. “My job is to make other people look good and I’m okay with that. It’s fun, though, because it means I get to touch every ball.”

The extent to which Weintraub has become the lynchpin of the offense reflects clearly in the setter’s gaudy numbers. After finishing 16th in the nation last year with 11.29 assists per game, the junior has upped his production to 11.60 per game, notching 348 of the team’s 371 assists thus far.

Weintraub’s 37 digs and nine service aces both also rank second on the team—indicators of the co-captain’s all-around contribution. But, through two stellar seasons it has become apparent that Weintraub’s trademark lies in setting the table.

“[Gil] has been playing great,” says Weissbourd, the team leader in kills. “I play a position where every set needs to be quick and the timing needs to be right. It’s great to have a setter as talented [as him].”

Weintraub has certainly earned such praise lately, posting unparalleled efforts as the 2009 campaign unfolds. Following a career-high 63-assist performance against Stevens Institute of Technology in January, Weintraub capped last week’s five-set win against Newbury with 67 helpers.

Considering the junior is on pace to shatter last year’s total of 621 assists, Weintraub does not seem particularly fixated with personal stats or glory.

“One thousand is a pretty sweet number, I’m not going to lie, but I’ve only been setting for two years, so I don’t know [how much] it means,” he says. “I think it does mean that we’re gelling as a team. 1000 assists means a lot of kills.”

With this quick deflection of personal accolades towards team praise, Weintraub sends a reminder that his prowess in competition mirrors his skill as a team captain. Despite only two years on the court, the junior’s hard work and consistent play have validated his early election by teammates and earned head coach Brian Baise’s admiration.

“From early on [Weintraub]’s work ethic has really set an example for the entire team,” Baise says. “As a captain, he’s been a leader on and off the court, in a position that has a lot of responsibility.”

Displaying characteristic humility, Weintraub gives a more modest self-assessment, revealing a desire to improve his leadership skills.

“It’s hard being a junior captain, and I still have a lot to learn,” Weintraub admits. “But, I really try to bring the team as close together as possible and mostly do what captains do: try to lead, be a friend, and motivate.”

With a year and a half remaining in his career, Weintraub has ample opportunity to grow as a leader and as a difference-maker for Harvard. The setter hopes that the team can evolve in that time as well. With the Crimson sitting at .500 for the season, Weintraub sees his squad at a crossroads, primed to assert itself in the EIVA.

However, as Harvard looks to build momentum after defeating Newbury and ending a two-game skid, Weintraub’s career effort against the Nighthawks demonstrates how much the team’s fate rides on the man at the helm.

“The decisions that [Weintraub] is making on offense are improving every match,” Baise says. “To me there were signs [against Newbury] that we’re starting to make some progress and much of that is a tribute to Gil and the plays he’s calling.”

Fortunately for the Crimson, Weintraub appears to be hitting his stride just at the midway point of his tenure. Before the setter hangs up his jersey, delighted fans at the MAC can look forward to another 1000 perfectly arching feeds, building anticipation for another 1000 devastating strikes. And all the while, the man who makes Harvard’s offense click will smile in the background, content to humbly showcase his teammates.

—Staff writer Max N. Brondfield can be reached at mbrondf@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Volleyball