Bookmark Oliver R. Knill’s blog for all of your daily nipple flux and rollerblading video needs.

Profs Online: From FYI to TMI

When’s the last time you saw your professor on the street in nothing but booty shorts and a pair of
By Laura C. Schaffer

When’s the last time you saw your professor on the street in nothing but booty shorts and a pair of rollerblades? If you’re interested in seeing a video, just visit Professor Oliver R. Knill’s personal blog, easily found on the Math 21b course Web site.

Knill’s blog is part of his open and informal approach to teaching. He says that developing a personal connection with students can help to prevent students from feeling overwhelmed in large lectures.

“I think these courses are very hard­—the typical student works very hard. They are stressed and oftentimes pushed to the limit. It can be difficult for students to feel comfortable asking questions, and engaging in discussion,” Knill said.

“I stripped once for a demonstration,” he said. “I think it relaxes everyone. I think they appreciate it.”

Associate Professor Stephen L. Burt, who teaches English 10b, also maintains a personal blog. Even though there’s a link on the syllabus, he is less eager than Knill to share it with his students.

“I don’t point it out because it’s a personal blog. Those are blogs that don’t have to do with the course I’m teaching,” Burt said. “I don’t tell students to read my personal blog, I want them to read more Wordsworth.”

Molly O. Fitzpatrick ’11, who is currently enrolled in English 10b, agrees with Burt. “I don’t think sharing one’s personal life is necessary,” she said. “But I think it’d be interesting as long as it’s not TMI.”

If Fitzpatrick’s definition of “TMI” includes bare chests, then perhaps Knill’s class isn’t for her. Several former students of Math 21b share vivid memories of the time Knill calculated the flux of his nipple in class.

However, some students welcome this bare-all attitude in the faculty. Jennifer Y. Chang ’11, for example, believes that Knill’s openness improves the learning experience.

“He always seems extremely approachable, and very open and flexible,” she says.

While students probably don’t want to see professors in their Facebook news feeds, professorial personal blogs can provide a delicious glimpse into the lives of the tenured.