POPSCREEN: Art Brut

"Alcoholics Unanimous" dir. Alan Smithee

By Will L. Fletcher, Crimson Staff Writer

After a long night of drinking, pissing, and pissing people off, singer Eddie Argos stumbles into his support group meeting only to find himself the subject of Art Brut’s new short film, creatively titled “Drunk?: a documentary” and set to their new single “Alcoholics Unanimous”—wait, see what they did there? Still belligerent and sweaty from the night before, Argos signs himself in and sits down among his peers. “Bring me tea! Bring me coffee!” he screams to anyone who will listen, but everyone seems to be drinking beer and wine. Just what he doesn’t need! The irony!

We soon learn that Eddie wasn’t exactly the most pleasant person that night, as he sends out a mass apology text saying whatever happened “will NEVER happen again.” What could this amiable character possibly have done to anger all his friends? Did he bite someone’s face, leaving that gaping hole in his teeth? Did he ditch his colorfully-scarved yuppie friends for the strange Clockwork Orange-themed couple in his support group? Or maybe his habit of spitting at women simply isn’t that attractive during the nighttime? Who knows? It’s a mystery.

All we know for sure is it left Argos with the mother of all hangovers. “I’m hiding it well,” he claims, only to hear his contrary friends respond, “Not very well!” Yet it’s Argos who wins out in the end; while the rest of his group ends up in a huge brawl, intoxicated by post-punk power chords—oh, and the alcohol at the alcoholics meeting might have helped—Argos is left the last man standing. Alive, awake and ready to do it all again.

—Will L. Fletcher