Harvard Hits .500 in Spring Break Trip

Harvard captain Laura Peterzan continued to be one of the Crimson’s top performers over the break. She was a key figure in Harvard’s three victories in California, picking up three singles wins, including a defiant 4-6, 6-0, 6-1 comeback victory against U
By Eric L. Michel, Contributing Writer

Entering its only west coast trip of the season with a record two games under .500, the women’s tennis team knew that the voyage to California could set the team in the right direction heading into league play next weekend.

“We got solid preparation for Ivy season, which is vital to our success this year,” Harvard coach Traci Green said.

The Crimson came through when it counted, winning three of its four matches on the trip and leveling its overall record to 7-7, marking the first time the team has reached .500 this year.

“We’re really confident entering the Ivy League season,” sophomore Samantha Rosekrans said.

HARVARD 5, CAL STATE NORTHRIDGE 2

The Crimson closed its spring break road trip with a 5-2 victory against the Matadors (9-11) on a sweltering Saturday afternoon.

“Despite our physical exhaustion, we were able to pull out a victory,” Rosekrans said.

In doubles—after Harvard and Cal State Northridge split the first two matches—freshman Camille Jania and captain Laura Peterzan clinched the opening point, squeaking out a 9-7 win.

“[Jania and Peterzan] are a great combination,” Green said. “They have so much energy and will on the court. They’re really fun to watch.”

In spite of losses on the top-two courts in singles, the rest of the lineup won in straight sets to give Harvard its seventh victory on the season.

At No. 3, Rosenkrans won 6-2, 6-3, while freshman Agnes Sibilski managed to win a close second set and took the No. 4 court 6-1, 7-5. Freshman Holly Cao moved to 2-0 on the season in singles with a pair of 6-1 sets. Jania won handily, sweeping her match 6-0, 6-0.

HARVARD 7, SANTA CLARA 0

After two days off, the Crimson did not lose focus in preparation for the Broncos (7-8), shutting out Santa Clara 7-0. The match marked the first shutout victory for Harvard in over two years.

“[The win] really brought us closer together and got everybody excited about the rest of the season,” Green said.

To make the occasion even sweeter, the Crimson did not drop a set on the day for the first time since the spring opener against Boston University in 2006.

After the Crimson swept the doubles point, Harvard looked to cement its second west coast win in singles play.

No. 88 senior Beier Ko defeated her Bronco opponent 6-0, 6-3. Peterzan took her match 6-4, 6-1, as did Rosekrans 6-1, 6-1. Sibilski improved to 7-5 in singles this spring with her 6-3, 6-0 win. Jania edged out a contested first set and then overtook her opponent in the second set to take the match 7-5, 6-1. Freshman Samantha Gridley completed the sweep with her hard-fought contest, sweating out a 7-6 (6), 6-4 win under the sun.

“They really deserved the win,” Green said of her players.

SAN DIEGO STATE 6, HARVARD 1

In the fifth meeting between the Crimson and Aztecs (12-4), No. 25 San Diego State replicated last year’s 6-1 win over Harvard to take the lead in the all-time series 3-2.

The lone victory for the Crimson on the afternoon came from Cao, who took the No. 5 court in straight sets 6-4, 6-4. She was playing her first match since last October.

“It felt good to be out on the court finally,” Cao said.

Cao played well in tournament play earlier in the year, going 6-3 in singles.

“She picked up where she left off last fall,” Green said.

Playing for the second consecutive day under the California sun may have taken a toll on Harvard, which, according to Green, appeared to be fatigued.

“If we had our legs under us, it would have been a closer match,” Green said.

HARVARD 4, UC SANTA BARBARA 3

The Crimson opened its California trip with a narrow victory over the Gauchos (12-5).

Harvard took the doubles point with wins by Rosekrans and Cao at No. 2, 8-5, and Peterzan and freshman Caroline Davis at No. 3, 8-5.

The Crimson prevailed over UC Santa Barbara by splitting the singles matches—Harvard won on the first three courts. Rosekrans won the No. 2 court in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Peterzan recovered after losing the first set at No. 1 to eventually ease her way to a 4-6, 6-0, 6-1 victory.

“I really believed that I was still in the match [after the first set]...and that I could turn it around,” Peterzan said.

At No. 3, Sibilski similarly defeated her opponent, 3-6, 6-0, 6-2, to seal the win for the Crimson.

Women's Tennis