WEB UPDATE: Crimson Takes Three of Four in Midweek Matchups

By Jessica L. Flakne, Contributing Writer

Harvard continued spring break action this week, splitting a doubleheader against the UNC Greensboro Spartans in Greensboro, N.C. on Tuesday, and winning both games of another doubleheader versus the Bryant Bulldogs played Thursday in Smithfield, R.I.

In each twinbill, the Crimson (12-6) held its opponents to tight scores in the first games. Harvard lost, 3-0, to the Spartans in the opening game, and beat the Bulldogs by a slim 2-1 margin in Thursday’s opening matchup. In the second games, the Crimson offense came alive, and Harvard outscored UNCG (11-15), 10-5, and Bryant (5-20), 8-1, in its evening game versus each opponent.

HARVARD 8, BRYANT 1

The Crimson’s offense ignited in their second game against Bryant.

“We’re coming out and trying to show teams that we are the real deal,” senior co-captain Bailey Vertovez said. “We came out with pride in that second game and tried to silence their bats.”

Despite the enthusiasm, the night game was scoreless through three innings. Senior Hayley Bock sparked the Harvard scoring spree, leading off the fourth inning with a double and coming home on a single by junior Melissa Schellberg, who is also a Crimson sports editor.

The Crimson added another run to its lead in both the fifth and sixth innings before closing the door on the Bulldogs with a spectacular five-run seventh inning.

The Harvard pitching staff saw a solid performance from the mound as well. Freshman Julia Moore struck out three batters in three innings. Junior Dana Roberts relieved Moore and recorded the win, pitching a perfect fourth along the way. Vertovez contributed two perfect frames before junior Margaux Black stepped in to finish the job.

HARVARD 2, BRYANT 1

The Crimson hoped to come out against Bryant with that same fire it had in its second matchup with the Spartans.

“We had lulled in the first game [against UNCG], and figuring out how not to lull in the first game on Thursday was one of our goals,” said Vertovez.

Harvard scored only two runs, however, both coming later in the game. The Crimson trailed the Bulldogs, 1-0, in the sixth inning when junior Jessica Pledger, who is also a Crimson photographer, got on base with a one-out single. Bock then smashed a two-run shot to right center, scoring pinch-runner Black and tallying all the runs Harvard required to pull out the win.

The combination of rookie pitchers Marika Zumbro and Rachel Brown made the one-run Harvard victory possible. Zumbro struck out three Bryant hitters and allowed only six hits and one run. Brown finished the job, allowing just one walk in four innings, and recording every out by strikeout until a Bulldog flied out to end the game.

HARVARD 10, UNCG 5

In its second game against UNCG, the Crimson’s offense came alive to match the outstanding performance of the defense from the first game.

“We didn’t get the hits that we needed in the first game,” said Vertovez. “But, we battled back and showed them we were able to compete and that we were great hitters.”

Harvard pulled away from a 1-1 tie early on in the game, scoring seven runs in the span of three innings. Sophomore Ellen Macadam sparked the Crimson offense with a single and she continued to swing the bat effectively, putting up three runs, two hits and two RBI.

“[We knew] we needed to get our bats alive and get moving, because scoring early on is very crucial to our game,” freshman Whitney Shaw said about the team’s focus going into its second game against UNCG.

Throughout the game, nine different Harvard players contributed to the win with hits. Vertovez, who also pitched in the game, joined junior Jessica Pledger and Macadam with two hits apiece. Vertovez scored three times during the contest and Shaw drove in three runs.

UNCG 3, HARVARD 0

The Crimson’s defense put up a strong performance against the Spartans, but Harvard’s offense could not provide the runs necessary to pull out a win.

Brown held UNCG to only six hits and two earned runs. But, in the third inning, the Spartan offense took charge, scoring two runs after two walks, a single and a Crimson error. The loss was the first of Brown’s career, dropping her season record to 7-1.

Harvard was able to put runners on base in each inning, but could never get the hits needed to move players across home plate.

Softball