Harvard Gets Win at Tourney

Sophomore Patricia Smith notched a hat trick in yesterday’s 9-8 win over Bucknell in the seventh-place game of the Eastern Championships at Blodgett Pool. The win was the first at Easterns for the Crimson since 2005.
By Emmett Kistler, Crimson Staff Writer

From time to time, every team must admit the cliché, but inevitable mantra: “There’s always next season.”

Last Monday was not one of those times for the Harvard women’s water polo team (11-16, 4-6 CPWA North).

Squeaking into the Eastern Championships at the eighth seed after finishing third in its division, the Crimson beat out other fringe teams and received the invite to play on home turf against top seeded No. 14 Hartwick as part of a three-game tournament.

As with two previous confrontations between the teams, the Crimson found itself in troubled waters against the Hawks and witnessed yet again why Hartwick (27-11, 9-1) was considered top-notch in the Northern Division as well as the championship bracket.

After dropping the 16-3 decision to the Hawks, the Crimson found itself in another hole at Blodgett against No. 16 Indiana (21-16, 8-2 CPWA West). But despite a six-goal rampage in the fourth period, Harvard could not close the gap and lost 9-7.

In the battle for seventh place in the tournament against Bucknell (18-17, 5-3 CPWA South), there would be no late-game hole for the Crimson. But there would be a neck-and-neck battle to the finish—a battle that a freshmen-led Harvard squad would win this time, 9-8.

“It was a really important, critical growth point for the team,” Harvard coach Erik Farrar said. “It’s a young team. It’s a continuing process of learning how to win...Winning this game, you not only want to win it for your seniors, but you’re in your home pool.”

The win capped off the weekend and the 2009 campaign on a high note. Although seventh may not be ideal, there’s always next season.

HARVARD 9, BUCKNELL 8

On the final day of the tournament, the Crimson came out with a chip on its shoulder. Relying on a multi-faceted offense that featured tallies from seven different players, Harvard jumped out to an early lead it would not relinquish. The Bison threatened several times, but consistent, scrappy play—especially from the team’s freshmen—halted any chance of another heartbreak Sunday morning.

Harvard’s seniors made solid contributions in their final collegiate games. Co-captain and former Crimson magazine chair Nicola Perlman grabbed eight saves, while the other Crimson co-captain, Devon MacLaughlin, netted a goal from center.

No. 16 INDIANA 9, HARVARD 7

Going into the fourth period on Saturday, things looked grim for the Crimson. The Hoosiers held a six-goal advantage and time was swiftly ticking away.

Although classic momentum shifts are usually attributed to dramatic, daring plays, it’s the simple fundamentals that provide the real filler and the basis for epic efforts. With less than five minutes left, sophomore Patricia Smith got back to those basics.

“We ran our system,” Smith said. “[The Hoosiers] were dropping off of me and they let me walk it in so I took the shot. It’s good to have that one shot out.”

The ensuing rally featured back-to-back goals from freshman and Northern Division Rookie of the Year Devan Kennifer, who found the net twice within two minutes.

“As a freshman at starting center, she amazes me every day and every time we play,” Smith said.

Kennifer’s classmate Lizzie Abbot wailed another shot past Indiana goaltender Cassie Wyckoff to bring Harvard to within one point of its stalling opponents with 44 seconds remaining on the clock.

But the speeding freight train that was the Crimson then hit an untimely snag. as Smith was issued a penalty within the Hoosiers’ box. The ensuing shot was good, bringing the score to an insurmountable 9-7 with only 16 seconds left.

No. 14 HARTWICK 16, HARVARD 3

Hartwick asserted its dominance of Blodgett pool from the start of the tournament on Friday. The Hawks grabbed a quick lead off of an early exclusion goal and then a backhanded shot from freshman Allyssa Analytis that soared past Perlman.

Hartwick proceeded to take its lead and run with it; the Hawks flaunted a 6-1 advantage by halftime that was augmented by 10 more goals in the following two periods. And while Hartwick churned out points on offense, it locked down on the other end of the pool and allowed Harvard just one goal in the initial two periods and only three throughout the entire game.

The Hartwick defense centered around netminder Jessica Dorman, who racked up 14 saves.

—Staff writer Emmett Kistler can be reached at ekistler@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Water Polo