Our Perspective

By Gregg Rosenblum and Ocs Staff, Nones

Even before the effects of last fall’s economic downturn began to impact the nation, the Office of Career Services had launched a new set of programs designed to “turn up the volume on diverse career options.” The new programming was designed to counteract the perception that OCS only offered help for students interested in business careers and featured events covering global public health, human rights and poverty reduction, government, international relations, education, the environment, clean technology, the creative arts, fashion, sports management, journalism, and more.

In September, the newly designed programming created a favorable buzz among students and garnered support and partnerships with many student clubs and organizations. The programs were designed to educate students about pathways, connect them with alumni, and make transparent the different strategies needed to connect to opportunities in disparate career areas.

Soon after the “Turning up the Volume” initiative was underway, the world economy began to “turn down the volume” on employment opportunities. Regrouping, OCS realized new programming was needed to help students learn key strategies for acquiring jobs or internships during more difficult circumstances.

Addressing the challenges, OCS added in late fall a four-part series, “Career Prep in a Tough Economy,” followed by another four-part series added in the spring,“Job-Hunting 101: Real Strategies for Recessionary Times.” OCS also offered two “Job Search Bootcamps” this semester for seniors designed to give the jolt of energy needed to conduct a search in a difficult climate. The program ended with a one-on-one meeting with an OCS advisor, allowing participants to formulate a personalized strategy and determine next steps in their search.

Yet, despite the tumultuous economy, the 2008-2009 recruiting season revealed a great commitment from our employer partners to hire Harvard students. Although recruiting volume was down approximately 10 percent in the fall and another 20 percent in the spring, most employers opted to reduce rather than cancel their recruiting efforts, hired Harvard students for both full-time and internship positions, and plan to hire again in 2009-2010. With strong support from Harvard alumni within their organizations, many employers hope to “protect” entry-level hiring as much as possible.

The majority of organizations and industries use what is referred to as “just-in-time” hiring, meaning that they only hire when there is an actual vacancy, not based on anticipated needs. These kinds of positions are posted and viewable by students on our new online platform, Crimson Careers. Over 150 jobs have been posted in the month of April alone. A word of advice: The best route to both securing a job and job security is having a strong network. Take every opportunity to meet employers and alumni and learn about their fields and career paths. The goal is not to “schmooze” or garner favors, but rather to be a familiar name or face when a position does become available. Similarly, employers will be looking for ways to be visible on campus next year even if they are not going to be hiring. Their hope is that, when they are able to hire, they will still be a familiar name on your list.

OCS has noticed that, despite all the negative news, Harvard students appear to be taking the economic downturn in stride. Students report feeling resilient and optimistic about the new ways the economy will grow after working through this downturn. They recognize that it will be their generation that forges the new path and generates the innovative ideas necessary for a 21st-century infrastructure to develop. “We are Harvard students,” they say—well educated and positioned to be flexible and open to new ventures. In the past, Harvard students often felt risk-adverse and selected next steps based on what they thought were well-traveled paths with a promise of high income or perceived prestige. While these remain considerations, the changes in the economy and the decline in volume of once-plentiful, high-paying certain types of jobs has empowered students to consider broader options. Teaching, nonprofits, government, health care, clean tech, entrepreneurship, new media, technology, energy, and the environment are changing areas that students are finding themselves intellectually drawn to and where they believe they can make a contribution.

Many students are also exploring other post-graduate opportunities including graduate or professional school, traveling, fellowships, and service-learning. Students are coming to understand that they can cast a wide net to gain skills and experience post-Harvard and that there are may areas where they can add value.

Gregg Rosenblum is the technology, data, and assessment administrator at the Office of Career Services.