SPORTS BRIEF: Freshman Brown Earns Rookie of the Year, First Team Honors

By Crimson Sports Staff, None

Freshman Rachel Brown of the Harvard softball team was named the Ivy League Rookie of the Year in a league announcement last Thursday. Brown, a pitcher, made the All-Ivy First Team, one of the Crimson’s six all-league selections.

In her rookie season, Brown shattered the Harvard single-season strikeout record, recording 211 on the season. Her total was tops in the league, and she ranks ninth nationally with 9.8 strikeouts per game, another Crimson single-season record.

Brown finished the season with a 16-7 record and a 1.49 ERA in 28 appearances. Her four saves were good for 10th-best in the nation. She pitched 15 complete games on the season, including two shutouts, three two-hitters and a pair of one-hitters.

Brown was especially dominant in preseason action, earning MVP honors at both the Highlander Classic and Miken Classic. Among Ivy pitchers, she ranked in the top three in all major pitching categories. The freshman led the league in strikeouts, saves, innings pitched (150.1), and opponent batting average (.183). She is seventh on the Harvard career strikeout list, and 12th in all-time wins.

Brown was joined on the first team by junior outfielder Jennifer Francis, who led the Crimson with a .311 batting average, hitting .368 against Ancient Eight competition.

Sophomore outfielder Emily Henderson, who led the Ivies in stolen bases with 15, was named to the second team.

Co-captain and catcher Hayley Bock, sophomore second baseman Ellen Macadam, and junior third baseman Melissa Schellberg, who is also a Crimson sports editor, all received honorable mention.

—KATE LEIST

Softball