Ladies Lunch, Trade Clothes

By Danielle J. Kolin, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard College Women’s Center was transformed into a boutique clothing store yesterday for the Center’s annual “Naked Ladies Brunch.”

Hundreds of articles of clothing were swapped at the brunch, where women could bring in their used clothing and receive new items in exchange.

After the event, the Center donated the leftover clothing to the Big Brother Big Sister Foundation in Boston.

Every year, the Women’s Center donates the remaining clothing to a different charity, according to Susan B. Marine, director of the Women’s Center.

“We wanted to do something where we could do a public service contribution,” she said.

Although the event was called the “Naked Ladies Brunch,” no women were completely naked yesterday. However, many stripped down in the makeshift dressing room to try on new tops and dresses.

Attendees also nibbled on fruit salad, bagels, and eggs cooked by Marine and other Women’s Center staffers as they browsed through the piles of clothing.

The clothing selection was diverse, ranging from conventional jeans, tops, and shoes to more unusual wares, like bras and even a long ballroom gown.

Some attendees were impressed with the quality of the available merchandise, much of it bearing brand names such as Chinese Laundry, J. Crew, and American Eagle.

“I found a pair of Hollister capris that fit me perfectly that would be upwards of $100 in the store,” Anne E. P. Stone ’10 said.

The main organizer of this year’s event, Gena M. Haugen ’09, said the brunch was open only to the Harvard community, a restriction that Chava E. Kenny ’12 said she favors.

Kenny said that she has always wanted to do a clothing swap, and she felt more comfortable knowing most of the used clothing was from fellow students.

The brunch is one of the Women’s Center’s most popular events every year, according to Marine.

“It gives you a chance to bring in all of your stuff before you move out so you don’t have to pack it,” Olga Tkachenko ’12 said.

—Staff writer Danielle J. Kolin can be reached at dkolin@fas.harvard.edu.