Class Day Takes a Humorous Tone

By Eric P. Newcomer, Crimson Staff Writer

Striking a balance between humor and substance, Matt Lauer of NBC’s Today Show addressed the Class of 2009 during yesterday’s Class Day Exercises.

Class Day, the day before Harvard College seniors graduate, was a well-received, light-hearted affair, members of the audience said.

The event took place in Tercentenary Theatre, where two student speakers who gave the customary “Ivy Orations” had the audience in stitches.

Lauer began his remarks with several anecdotes that drew laughs, joking about when he told his high school guidance counselor that he wanted to apply to Harvard “as a stretch.”

According to Lauer, the counselor replied, “Mr. Lauer you applying to Harvard would be the biggest waste of 15 dollars in the history of 15 dollars.”

“You are, despite the kidding here, the best and the brightest,” Lauer said, adding that the class had much of their lives before them. “You are also the object of my enormous jealousy.”

Humor set the rest of the address’ tone as well, with Lauer including one story ending with his young son picking his nose ten feet away from President Barack Obama.

Lauer said the graduating seniors would get their fill of sober remarks during today’s speeches.

“You’ve got the Secretary of Energy Steven Chu as your speaker tomorrow, sexy,” he said. “Unless he gives each and every one of you those nitrogen fuel cell cars, you are in for a long afternoon.”

He also delivered some customary advice, suggesting that those in attendance make sure to have children and to find someone in their lives who “could look [them] in the eye and tell [them] the truth, every single time.”

Rufus D. Stephens, who came to see a family friend graduate, said he was “pleasantly surprised” by the quality of speakers.

“I thought Matt was great,” he said.

Lumumba B. Seegars ’09, the senior class’ first marshal, opened and closed the event with a speaking style that came from his time preaching at his church while in high school, according to his roommate Matthew K. Clair ’09.

Seegars completed his remarks with an a cappella rendition of “Lean on Me.”

“He loves the Class of 2009,” Clair said. “It all came from the heart.”

William J. Houghteling ’09 gave an Ivy Oration titled “Bull Markets Come and Go, Snobbery is Forever.”

His speech moved from one laugh to another, focusing on the job market seniors will be graduating into today.

“We are the most intelligent, accomplished, and unemployed class to graduate from Harvard,” he said.

But he said, despite even the harshest economic conditions, Harvard will always be around.

“Harvard is an indestructible American brand—like Lehman Brothers and General Motors,” he quipped.

He concluded his remarks saying, “Congratulations Class of 2009. We are literally the most amazing people ever.”

To some in attendance, the speeches provided insight about time at Harvard. Jill Schoenfeld, who will be a member of the class of 2013, came to see her sister graduate today.

“As an incoming freshmen, [the speakers] were very inspiring,” she said.

—Staff writer Eric P. Newcomer can be reached at newcomer@fas.harvard.edu.