An EAR For Psychology

By Huma N. Shah, Crimson Staff Writer

After spending eight weeks at the University of Cambridge, Rui Wang ’11 has fine-tuned a third ear—one she hopes might someday help explain complex human behaviors like the struggle to quit smoking.

“One of the main problems in psychological research is that it is hard for researchers to be unobtrusive observers,” Wang said. “The EAR (short for Electronically Activated Recorder), which looks like a PDA, randomly records audio snippets of your day without your knowing.”

The research team at the Institute of Public Health, where Wang worked this summer, hoped to determine the feasibility of using the device in behavioral health intervention, especially to stop smoking.

Ten participants—who are regular smokers—consented to wearing the device, which captures two and a half minute clips every hour. Before returning the EAR to the researchers, participants had the option of deleting any recordings they didn’t want heard, Wang said. The audio files were then transcribed and coded to determine any common themes in participants’ conversations, locations, and activities related to smoking.

“We tested the EAR device by wearing it around the lab,” Wang said. “After a few hours, you forget that it is there and go about your day normally.”

The study received ethical approval last year but needed someone to lead the project to get it off the ground, Wang said. She contributed to the various phases of research, including recruiting participants, setting up the devices, and continuing to transcribe the data while at Harvard.

Wang worked in the General Practice and Primary Care Research Unit under the guidance of Director and Professor of Behavioural Science Stephen Sutton and research assistant James Jamison.

Jamison, whose research involves the use of text messages in preventing smoking, led a second part to the study. By sending participants motivational and informational text messages at the beginning of each recording period, he said, the researchers could use the EAR to hear initial reactions and feedback.

Future studies may involve introducing a non-smoker group, and comparing their audio snippets with those of the smoker population, said Wang.

“This is very valuable research, and Rui has been a great asset to us this summer,” said Jamison. “We anticipate recording our findings and submitting the results to some journals.”

“I’m very interested in behavioral economics and public health,” said Wang, who has been involved with social science research since high school and hopes to attend medical school after graduating. “I was looking to do clinical work, and go abroad. This internship combined both.”

—Staff writer Huma N. Shah can be reached at hshah@fas.harvard.edu.

For recent research, faculty profiles, and a look at the issues facing Harvard scientists, check out The Crimson's science page.