Shooting Suspects Now Held in Massachusetts

By Julia L. Ryan, Contributing Writer

The three men accused of participating in the murder of Cambridge resident Justin Cosby in Kirkland House last spring are now all in custody in Massachusetts.

Blayn Jiggetts, 20, and Jason Aquino, 23, were arraigned in Middlesex Superior District Court in Woburn yesterday and ordered held without bail.

Jiggetts is charged with first degree murder, accessory after the fact of murder, armed robbery, and possession of a firearm, according to a press release from the Middlesex District Attorney’s office.

Aquino faces charges of accessory after the fact of armed robbery and carrying a firearm without a license—murder charges against Aquino were dropped Tuesday.

Jiggetts and Aquino have pleaded not guilty in connection with the murder.

Both men were previously held without bail in New York.

The third defendant, Jabrai J. Copney, 20, has been in custody in Massachusetts since May 21. He was indicted on June 26 by a Middlesex Superior Court Grand Jury on counts of first degree murder, accessory after the fact of murder, attempt to commit a crime, armed robbery, and possession of a firearm.

Cosby was shot in the basement of Kirkland House on May 18. Aquino, Copney, and Jiggetts—none of whom are Harvard students—allegedly planned to rob Cosby during an arranged meeting in the basement of Kirkland’s J-entryway.

Jiggetts pulled out a gun and a struggle ensued as Cosby tried to flee, according to the police investigation. Jiggetts handed the gun to Copney, who fired three shots, one of which hit and killed Cosby.

The three men took a bus from South Station to New York City later that evening.

Former Harvard students Brittany J. Smith and Chanequa N. Campbell, both originally members of the class of 2009, were linked to the murder but have not been charged criminally.

Neither student received a diploma last spring.

The investigation by the Harvard University Police, Cambridge Police, and the Massachusetts State Police is still ongoing.