Event Honors Growth in Africa

By Xi Yu, Crimson Staff Writer

The Committee on African Studies held a reception last night to celebrate Harvard’s expanding commitment to African and African-American studies.

“Africa in Motion”—a two-day event co-sponsored by the Du Bois Institute that includes an all-day symposium today—seeks to highlight new opportunities and engagements for the University and its partners in Africa.

More than 700 people attended the reception last night, according to Chair of the Standing Committee on African Studies Caroline Elkins, who organized the event.

Among the guests at the event, which was held at The Laboratory at Harvard, were University President Drew G. Faust, Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds, and Professor Henry L. “Skip” Gates, Jr.

In her remarks to the reception’s attendees, Faust referred to the current moment as a “celebration of opportunities that lie ahead.”

“Together, we can be so much more,” Faust said.

The Lab was littered with booths that showcased various projects and programs in African Studies. A large map of Africa was painted on the floor of the entrance to the forum, and all guests were invited to sign their names in the countries that they had visited or wanted to visit.

Several guests looked on as Faust signed her name in both South Africa and Botswana. In 2009, Faust became the second University president to visit the continent while in office.

“It feels like there’s a growing tide toward Africa,” said Kali N. Ilunga, who attended the event. “We’re getting attention in a really positive way.”

Allistair M. Witten, an alumnus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and a former Harvard South Africa Fellow, said that the reception exemplified an expanding focus for the African Studies department—from the involvement of faculty across different schools to the variety of projects demonstrating cross-campus collaboration.

“We are thrilled by the kind of relations, connections between Harvard and Africa that continue to grow,” Witten said.

Elkins said she was pleased that the guests of last night’s reception had come from many different schools of the University. For many, this was the first glimpse of the department’s expansion in recent years.

“People need to see it, interact with it, and experience it,” Elkins said.

Earlier this year, the Department of Education designated the Committee on African Studies as a National Resource Center, an honor which will bring with it $2.5 million in grants over the next four years.

The day-long symposium is taking place today and will feature panels and discussions about University-wide collaborations with African Studies.

—Staff writer Xi Yu can be reached at xyu@college.harvard.edu.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction.

CORRECTION: MAR. 28, 2011

The Oct. 22, 2010 article "Event Honors Growth in Africa" incorrectly stated that University President Drew G. Faust was the first Harvard president to visit the African continent. In fact, former University President Derek C. Bok first visited Africa on a trip in 1975.

Af Am Department