Disney Revue

Jackson M. Kernion ’12 plays the Leading Man in HRDC’s production of “Disney Revue.”
By Charlene C. Lee, Contributing Writer

Disney Revue

Nov. 18-20, 8 p.m. & Nov. 24, 10 p.m.

in the Adams House Pool Theater

Directed by Devon H. Dunn ’12

Music Directed by Alexander T. Valente ’12

Produced by Brenda Lin ’12

“‘Disney Revue’ brings to life everyone’s dream of having their lives played out as a Disney movie or a scene from ‘High School Musical,’” producer Brenda Lin ’12 says.

A spontaneous idea that arose from casual banter in the dining hall last May, “Disney Revue” is an original creation of Lin and director Devon H. Dunn ’12. The two, along with music director Alex T. Valente ’12, created a playlist of songs they wanted to include in the show before writing the script.

“‘Disney Revue’ is short, sweet, sassy, and full of Disney songs and puns. We wanted a witty, puny, and snarky script,” Lin says.

Despite the frivolous and informal nature of the play, Morgan E. Henry ’14, who plays Leading Lady, says that what she enjoyed the most about her experience was the ability to put her own personality into her role. “Though the show was not super-serious—it’s very casual—the process was very rewarding. ‘Disney Revue’ was written by us, and I got to shape my own character.”

Bringing together topics of hidden gender identities and illogical love, “Disney Revue” pieces together a bizarre plot of romance, treachery, and most importantly, Disney songs. Although the actors never directly reference the Disney movies, the production uses these classic songs to build upon the plot and portray the actors’ emotions and intentions, Lin says.

According to stage manager Lily R. Glimcher ’14, “Disney Revue” is aimed to excite the school for the Harvard-Yale football game. She says the entire production and rehearsal process lifted the spirits of the cast and hopes the audience will feel the same.

Henry agrees that the enthusiasm is contagious. “I really love musicals, I really love Disney, and now I get to be a princess,” she says. “Disney is a secret, dirty pleasure for everyone.”

—Charlene C. Lee

Theater