UC Tickets Focus on Social Space During Debate

By Aisling H. Crane, Contributing Writer

University Council candidates focused on campus social space and personal security during a debate in Lowell Junior Common Room last night.

Both of the major tickets that participated—Matt S. Coe-Odess ’12 and Tengbo Li ’12, and Senan Ebrahim ’12 and Bonnie Cao ’12—emphasized the importance of expanding social spaces for student groups around Harvard.

Coe said the issue was “something I feel very strongly about,” pointing to student dissatisfaction with dining hall parties. He proposed greater use of under-utilized locations like junior common rooms and house grilles, as well as closer relationships with neighborhood businesses that can host student gatherings.

Ebrahim and Cao suggested extending a pilot program they had recently helped establish, which provides funding for student groups to rent on- and off-campus venues for social events.

Harvard Political Union Chair Shankar G. Ramaswamy ’11, who moderated the debate, also brought up crime and the recent series of area muggings, asking the candidates, “What do you intend to do to ensure that students feel safe?”

Coe commended the freedom and trust afforded by Harvard’s current security measures, but advocated late-night ID checks at entrances to the Yard. Ebrahim, meanwhile, said that he and the rest of the UC were proposing more lighting, safer pedestrian routes, and increased bike patrols. “We want to work creatively with students,” he said.

The candidates answered Ramaswamy’s questions for about 20 minutes before the floor was opened to the audience.

Several questioners challenged the candidates on their intentions for UC accountability and on their ability to implement their campaign promises.

Coe and Li said that the short-term nature of their proposals would give the student body “tangible results.” Ebrahim and Cao said that more of their own proposals entailed working closely with University administrators. While those plans might take longer to implement, they said, it was more likely that they would “create a legacy” for future students.

Throughout the debate, the candidates commended their competitors, acknowledging shared goals and ideals. In closing the debate, Ramaswamy remarked that it had been “the most civil and friendly debate I have been to in four years.” Both tickets, he continued afterwards, “seemed like they would work well together.”

The third presidential ticket of Collin A. Jones ’12 and Peter D. Davis ’12 did not attend.

Undergraduate Council