Edward Norton Discusses Urban Planning

Jonathan Rose and Edward Norton speak at the Graduate School of Design last night.
By Michael E. Altman, Contributing Writer

In a talk last night at the Graduate School of Design, actor and philanthropist Edward H. Norton emphasized that young people have the tools to change the world.

The lecture, “Social Entrepreneurship and the Built Environment—James Rouse and His Legacy,” discussed advocacy for sustainable urban development by the late James Rouse, Norton’s grandfather.

During the talk, Norton discussed Rouse’s legacy as an urban planner with Jonathan F. P. Rose, who founded an urban development firm. Rouse designed Norton’s hometown of Columbia, Md. and Faneuil Hall in Boston.

“He was very ahead of his time in social ethics,” Norton said of his grandfather.

Rose added that Rouse’s greatest strength was that “he had a holistic view of developing...he could see the whole.”

This “holistic view” was presented as the need to consider all aspects of the urban society, including education, infrastructure and the environment when developing a city.

“A city isn’t just a dense bunch of buildings,” Rose said. “[They] will not work unless people have a connection with nature.”

In spite of the economic downturn, Norton thinks his grandfather would still be optimistic about the future of urban sustainability. “I think he believed recessions are drivers of change,” he said. “He would say ‘go at the hardest things because no problem is insoluble.”

Although the overall message was hopeful, Rose and Norton noted the U.S. cannot always take its position in the world for granted.

In terms of infrastructure, “the U.S. is left behind,” Rose said, citing China’s rapid development as an example.

“I think more young people need to start embracing that we’re not number one,” Norton said.

Attendees said they felt inspired by the messages of Norton, Rose, and, by extension, Rouse.

“Usually at these lectures you get people with great end results but don’t know how to get there,” Allen J. MacLeod ’14 said. “However, they were able to cite examples of what has worked and it was very well conceived.”

Norton himself said he still feels the influence of Rouse.

“He remains a very active presence and inspiration,” Norton said.

Graduate School of Design