Hyped Contest Turns Into Blowout

Co-captain Jeremy Lin continued to put up big numbers in big games, leading Harvard with 19 points. But Lin’s performance was not enough, and the turnover-plagued Crimson was soundly beaten, 86-50.
By Martin Kessler, Crimson Staff Writer

ITHACA, N.Y.—What was billed as the premier Ivy League matchup of the season failed to live up to the hype.

Instead of a back-and-forth battle between two title contenders, the sold-out crowd at Cornell’s Newman Arena witnessed the most lopsided Ivy League game of the season.

Rather than challenging the Big Red (18-3, 4-0 Ivy) for league dominance, the Harvard men’s basketball team (14-4, 3-1 Ivy) was trounced 86-50 in the Crimson’s worst loss since 2007.

“We didn’t play up to our capabilities and in a game like this, against a team like Cornell in this environment, we obviously need to play much better,” Harvard coach Tommy Amaker said.

Whether it was the raucous crowd, the game’s high stakes, Cornell’s stifling defense, or a combination of those factors, the young Crimson team was knocked out of its offensive rhythm, turning the ball over 25 times and shooting 36.1% from the field.

“We did everything we wanted to do defensively to make them struggle,” Big Red coach Steve Donahue said. “I do think we have the ability with our depth, our size, our experience, of being able to cause things like that on defense.”

Harvard co-captain Jeremy Lin struggled to control the ball, turning it over eight times. Lin had more success scoring, finishing with a game-high 19 points. But with no other Crimson players reaching double figures, Harvard failed to keep pace with a dynamic Big Red offense that had five different players finish with at least 10 points.

Seven-foot center Jeff Foote led Cornell with 16 points, nine rebounds, and four assists, scoring most of his baskets on post moves in the paint—including two flushes—against the Crimson’s undersized big men.

“I just felt like I had a little bit of an advantage,” Foote said. “I was catching it deep and getting good position. Today I was able to slow myself down, really gather myself, and go into my moves that I’m effective with.”

Amaker threw a number of different defensive looks at Foote in an attempt to slow the big man down. Amaker sent four different forwards to cover Foote man-to-man throughout the game and also switched to zone defense on several possessions.

But it was to no avail, as the reigning defensive player of the year was able to have his way on offense, knocking down 7-of-11 shots from the field.

“As we went through the scouting report, I mentioned I thought he’s the key to their team,” Amaker said. “I think he does so much dirty work. He scores on the inside; He’s a great passer, a very unselfish big man. I’m very fond of his game.”

On the other side of the ball, the Big Red attempted to slow Harvard’s strongest offensive player, Lin, by limiting his touches or doubling off screens to force the All-Ivy player into sending the ball to his teammates—or out of bounds.

Lin’s teammates failed to make the defense pay when Cornell double-teamed, as they collectively shot just 26% from the field.

Despite the offensive and defensive struggles and lopsided outcome, the Crimson was not without opportunities to get itself back in the game.

Cornell got out to a hot start, hitting its first six shots to open the contest, and a Foote spin move followed by a lefty floater over Harvard sophomore Andrew Van Nest gave the Big Red a 19-10 lead just under six minutes into the game.

But Harvard countered with a 7-0 run sparked by a layup from sophomore Keith Wright. Moments later, freshman Dee Giger knocked down an open deep ball to get within two after Wright recovered an offensive rebound and sent it back out to the wingman on the perimeter.

Cornell’s Mark Coury blew a layup on the Big Red’s next possession and the Crimson came away with the ball—and the opportunity to tie the score or take the lead.

Lin found Van Nest beyond the arc, but the big man’s shot attempt—Harvard’s only attempt in the game to take the lead—clanged off the rim.

Foote finished with a dunk on the other end, starting a 16-0 run for the Big Red, which would take a 38-24 lead into the break.

Six points from Lin to start the second half got the deficit back down to 10, but the Crimson would never get closer than that, as Cornell cruised to the 36 point victory.

“I think they’re an outstanding basketball team,” Amaker said. “One of the better teams in the country from what I’ve been able to see.”

—Staff writer Martin Kessler can be reached at martin.kessler@college.harvard.edu.

Men's Basketball