Lippert Takes Her Game to The Next Level

On a Harvard women’s basketball team that has no seniors on its roster, freshman Victoria Lippert, shown here in earlier action, has played an integral role in the Crimson’s success so far this season. The rookie, who can play both the guard and forward positions, recently had a career-high 28 points in Harvard’s crucial conference victory over Columbia last week.
By B. Marjorie Gullick, Crimson Staff Writer

Basketball standout Victoria Lippert has a rather surprising item to notch on to her growing lists of accomplishments: a black belt in taekwondo. The freshman admits to trying a number of sports growing up before finally getting serious about basketball in high school. But for the Harvard women’s basketball team, her choice to pick up the ball rather than keep the belt was a blessing.

“We’re thrilled with Victoria,” says head coach Kathy Delaney-Smith. “She’s talented and more versatile than we thought she would be this early in the year.”

A native of San Diego, Lippert has been a dominant factor in the Crimson’s ongoing winning season. Lippert, who has been named Ivy League Rookie of the Week three times so far this season, is currently the second leading scorer on the team with 12.3 points per game. Last weekend, in conference games against Cornell and Columbia, the guard/forward racked up a total of 48 points, leading all scorers and attaining a personal best of 28 points against the Lions.

Much of Lippert’s success on the court comes from an unparalleled and determined work ethic in practice.

“You always hope to have a team full of workers like Victoria,” Delaney-Smith says. “She’s the hardest worker I’ve ever coached and constantly works to get better.”

“She inspires her teammates, and, as you can see, her work in practice is paying off,” sophomore Brogan Berry echoes.

With the help of Lippert, Harvard is currently on a five-game winning streak, its longest over the past two seasons. As a result, the Crimson has a shot at the Ivy title and the chance for a bid in a postseason tournament once the season has concluded.

“[Victoria’s] one of the people responsible for us staying in the race,” Delaney-Smith says. “We’re going to a tournament, hopefully the NCAA, and she’s been an integral part to that endeavor.”

Lippert’s command on the court has much to do with a quality her coach already pointed out: versatility.

“[Victoria’s] not a one dimensional player,” Delaney-Smith explains. “She can pull up or post up, she can drive hard to the basket, or she can shoot the three.”

With this deadly offensive combination, Lippert has been a threat to a number of the opponents Harvard has faced. But do not expect the freshman to develop a big head in the wake of her accomplishments in the game. If anything, the young star remains humble and appreciative of her teammates and coaches.

“It’s just a joy being able to play with my teammates on the court,” Lippert says. “I’m very blessed to have these opportunities and to be put in situations where I am able to succeed.”

Referring to her “incredible support system” as a main contributor to her success, Lippert may be a strong individual player, but always recognizes herself first as the member of a team.

Despite the achievements she has already accomplished so far, the humble rookie acknowledges the area of her game that needs improvement.

“The coaches have really focused on working with me on my defense,” Lippert admits. “I’ve been working to pick up my game on the defensive area.”

“[Victoria] needs to work on her defense and gain consistency with her rebounding,” Delaney-Smith adds. “But we’re pleased with where she is and she continues to get better and better everyday.”

With her impressive level of play, it is easy to forget that Lippert is only a freshman, still making the difficult transition from high school to Division I basketball. But in a new environment where new players are easily intimidated, Lippert has flourished.

“The [Division I] level is different from high school, but I love competing and I thrive in competitive environments,” Lippert says.

“She’s a great player, whatever age she is,” Brogan attests. “She may be a freshman, but she does not play like one at all.”

With five games remaining in the regular season, Lippert and her teammates will all have to step up their games to finish strong in conference play and notch wins in the postseason.

“We definitely want to get revenge against Princeton and Dartmouth,” Lippert says. “Everyone wants to beat us, but we just have to take care of ourselves at this point.”

Whatever the fate of this season’s Crimson team may be though, Lippert will remain an integral part in the years to come and will likely mature even further in her game.

“She’s going to be a great player in the future,” Brogan predicts. “She’ll do great things here.”

For now, Lippert is taking her first season, her success, and her future day-by-day.

“I have high expectations for what I do on the court and in life,” Lippert says. “I just try to push myself to be the best I can each and every day.”

—Staff writer B. Marjorie Gullick can be reached at gullick@college.harvard.edu.

FeaturesWomen's Basketball