Editorials

Wind in the Sails

Cape Wind looks to be a winner

By The Crimson Staff

Those who have ever wanted a unique view of the sea need not look farther than Cape Cod. Instead of the standard view of ocean and sand, Cape Cod will soon be the site of the first offshore wind farm, Cape Wind: an ambitious project to build wind turbines in Nantucket Sound. On April 28, Interior Secretary Kenneth L. Salazar approved the project, a sign of the Obama administration’s support of alternative energy. We applaud this move—it shows a commitment to move away from fossil fuels, a priority that supersedes any of the drawbacks in this project. After nine years of waiting, we look forward to seeing the construction begin.

Cape Wind will consist of 130 wind turbines that are expected to provide power for 75 percent of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket. This is a reduction from the previous figure of 170 turbines, but it will still result in a considerable decrease of carbon dioxide released into the air—almost one million tons per year.

Many of the main complaints against Cape Wind were voiced by some of those living in the area, specifically members of The Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound. They object to the wind farm’s aesthetic damage and possible effect on tourism, as they believe that Cape Cod is an historical sight that should be left untouched. Others argue against the cost of the project, estimated to be between one and two billion dollars. Still others believe that this is a sign of excessive corporate power over American public space, and fishermen are worried about the effect on fishing grounds. A final complaint concerns the effect Cape Wind will have on the area, which is an ancient burial ground for Native American tribes.

All of these grievances are important to recognize. However, the time for debate has passed, and the parties involved need to move forward. Salazar’s endorsement is an excellent sign of progress for green politics, and Cape Cod residents should be proud of their position at the forefront of the alternative energy movement. It is true that the area has historical significance, but Cape Wind is too important an opportunity to pass up: It represents an evolution of energy production away from the polluting technlogies of the past. Thus, it is also an historic moment worth cherishing—and we hope the project moves forward on-time and on-budget.

As for the Native Americans who feel the government is undermining their heritage, Salazar and other policy makers have stressed that there will likely be compensation. At the very least, any discoveries of archeological finds on the seabed would cease construction until the Department of Interior is notified. Thus, this is not Manifest Destiny, Part II; the U.S. Government is mindful of the concerns of Native Americans.

The need to move past environmentally devastating energy production is extremely pertinent. The U.S. needs to be a leader in alternative energy if it is to motivate the world to pursue greener technology. Especially after the recent fatal explosion and resulting oil spill off of the Gulf Coast, there is a sense of urgency. The failures of offshore drilling cannot be ignored, and fossil fuels are unsafe, unhealthy, and unethical. The U.S. should become more self-sufficient when it comes to energy, and Cape Wind is one exemplary part of this strategy.

Editorials