TD Bank Hopes to Bring "WOW" Service to Square

The new TD Bank location opens in Harvard Square today.
By Xi Yu, Crimson Staff Writer

TD Bank opened a new location today on 1270 Mass. Ave. as part of a recent corporate initiative to expand in the Greater Boston area, celebrating with a display of balloons and pom-poms in the company's colors of green and white.

Located off of Plympton St. in the space that had been occupied by the Adidas store until December, the new TD Bank branch will be open seven days a week and will also offer free online banking and bill pay, according to spokesperson Jimmy A. Hernandez.

TD Bank, one of the 15 largest banks in the United States, serves customers from Maine to Florida and has 31 locations in Middlesex County alone.

The new branch will not focus on competition with the other banks in the Square, but will concentrate on delivering TD Bank's touted "WOW!" customer service, Hernandez said.

Hernandez said that lollipops and biscuits will be given to children and dogs who enter the store. In a corner of the store, a coin-counting green and purple machine called the Penny Arcade provided a platform for kids to deposit their coins and have them counted by a cartoon character named Penny free of charge.

On the wall adjacent to the Penny Arcade, a mural of Harvard Square in 1928 covers the surface from floor to ceiling.

"This ties us to the community," said Marion Colombo, senior vice president of retail banking.

The official grand opening of the new TD Bank will take place in the fall, when Harvard students return to campus and can "be included in the festivities," Hernandez said.

—Staff writer Xi Yu can be reached at xyu@college.harvard.edu.

Harvard Square