Cabot House Administrator Susan Livingston Dies in Fire

By Xi Yu and Julie M. Zauzmer, Crimson Staff Writers

Susan Livingston, who was serving as Cabot House administrator for her 28th year, died yesterday in her home, the Cabot House Masters wrote in an e-mail to the House community.

According to the Cambridge Chronicle, Livingston was found along with a cat when firefighters responded to an electrical fire at 16 Chester St. yesterday at about 6 p.m. She was 64.

"She was deeply devoted to the Cabot community and truly cared about the people, the traditions, and the history," stated the message, which was signed by Cabot House Masters Rakesh and Stephanie R. Khurana.

Livingston, who was passionate about movies, ethnic restaurants, and theatre, produced and directed the Cabot House Musical each spring, according to the House website.

"I can’t imagine having a position at the University that would be as rewarding, stimulating and fun as this one is for me," Livingston wrote in her House profile. "I feel very lucky to be here."

The House will be planning a memorial service for Livingston. She is survived by her daughter Vanessa, according to the House Masters.

The fire is still under investigation by the Somerville Police Department, the city’s Fire Investigation Unit, Mass. police, and the State Fire Marshal.

—Check TheCrimson.com for updates.

—Staff writer Xi Yu can be reached at xyu@college.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Julie M. Zauzmer can be reached at jzauzmer@college.harvard.edu.

CabotObituary