Clip'n'Save: Comparing Book Prices

When you rent a book off Chegg.com, the company plants a tree in your honor. Similarly, when you buy a ...
By Julia E. Kete

When you rent a book off Chegg.com, the company plants a tree in your honor. Similarly, when you buy a book from the Coop, they give you a red and white bag to compensate for the 70 percent markup they offer. According to Chegg’s friendly website, writing in books is not allowed, but limited highlighting is acceptable. To rent, you simply enter into an agreement with the company to send the book back through UPS at the end of the term. For those wary of anything requiring shipping and handling, used books from the Coop are another reasonable option, and about the same price as a new one from Amazon. A new Coop book, however, should be avoided at all costs, especially the high one you’ll have to pay for it. If you’re looking for an alternative, the slightly more indie Harvard Book Store sometimes has an edge on price, but finding what you need is more do-it-yourself than at the Coop. And if you’re shying away from paperbacks, the Coop and Amazon both sell e-books, sending content directly to your Nook or Kindle. Streaming books onto your Kindle is ultimately more cost-effective, but could also lead to you becoming “that kid in section,” with all the gadgets. To avoid any academic or financial faux pas, check out FM’s guide to book prices and get your money’s worth of literature, calc study guides, and more.

For The Moment