Harvard Women's Soccer Defeats Yale in Overtime

By Brian A. Campos, Crimson Staff Writer

Sophomore Peyton Johnson put away a shot from the penalty spot in overtime to help the Harvard women’s soccer team (6-4, 2-0 Ivy) down Yale, 2-1, and extend its winning streak to two games in Ivy play.

The Bulldogs (4-4-2, 1-1), hosts of this afternoon’s contest, saw their early first-half lead disappear after Crimson co-captain Melanie Baskind scored the equalizer 14 minutes into the second period. Senior Patricia Yau delivered a cross into the penalty area that the senior Baskind easily put away.

The contest ended regulation in a 1-1 deadlock, and it took just two minutes into overtime for the Crimson to deliver the final blow. Johnson dribbled her way into the 18-yard box and got off a shot that struck a Yale defender in the hand. The referee called the intentional hand ball, which granted Johnson a penalty kick. The second-year player did not hesitate to slip the ball past the goalkeeper and seal the victory for the visiting team.

Harvard outshot the Bulldogs, 12-8, seven of which were on target compared to Yale’s three opportunities on goal.

The Crimson will face Fairfield on Tuesday at Ohiri Field for a nonconference matchup before traveling to Cornell next Saturday.

Women's Soccer